So... who's been laid off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's an acquisition looming with my company, so who knows? The imagery industry is a fickle beast.

I've been laid off twice this year for about three weeks each time. I just sign up for funemployment benefits and wait it out.

layed off in may.... collecting my social security up front, as it prolly won't be there when i'm eligable... ;)

I've been laid off twice this year for about three weeks each time. I just sign up for funemployment benefits and wait it out.

I'm there with you. I just got laid off for the second time last week. Mine was by the same company. My old company went out of business in Feb. They then got bought out, and I got re-hired. now the new company just went out of business. Why can't this happen during golf season?

Sorry to hear about your losses.

As for me...Never!!! :D

Wow, that is almost unheard of these days. If I had to guess you are either young, self employed, extremely in demand and irreplaceable (???) or very lucky. I have been laid off 2x in my 25 years; however there may be a 3rd. I think what is hardest is when you put in so many years somewhere, work your way up the ladder, then something happens and you are out the door. I may be getting too old to start all over again.

Sorry for the OP and all the others. Sometimes, especially when you are young, it's for the best. You will see.

I feel your pain. My company has laid off some 25% of it's work force and going for another 10% soon. I'm hoping for the best, but they've let better people than me go already.

Wow, that is almost unheard of these days. If I had to guess you are either young, self employed, extremely in demand and irreplaceable (???) or very lucky. I have been laid off 2x in my 25 years; however there may be a 3rd. I think what is hardest is when you put in so many years somewhere, work your way up the ladder, then something happens and you are out the door. I may be getting too old to start all over again.

Sorry for the OP and all the others. Sometimes, especially when you are young, it's for the best. You will see.

Ok, just looked at your gallery. Cross young off.

I was really close about 3 years ago. They cut my salary and as a result were in breach of contract. I resigned the day the cut salary took effect, only giving them 8 hours notice, and took a better job I already had lined up. I realize that may seem like a crappy thing to do on my part, but until they had breached my contract I couldn't leave without repercussion and if I hinted I was looking they would've fired me or asked me to sign an amended contract.

I'll raise a pint tonight for your good fortunes in job hunting.

I got laid off from a radio gig about 10 years ago. The owners scheduled a meeting 3 MONTHS in advance, but didn't tell anyone what the meeting was for. They just said that everyone needed to be there because it was "big news". When we all showed up, they passed out final paychecks, told us the place was closed and that we needed to have all our personal belongings out of our desks and be off the property in 15 minutes. The next morning some of us went down there, looked in the windows and the building was empty.

My company was sold in January. The new owners installed a bonehead CEO who didn't listen to anyone, outsourced my work to his "friend's" company for 6X my rate, and laid me off in September. He was fired last week.

I've been out of work since, just started on my funemployment.

My company was sold in January. The new owners installed a bonehead CEO who didn't listen to anyone, outsourced my work to his "friend's" company for 6X my rate, and laid me off in September. He was fired last week.

Contact the new CEO, tell him that you can do the job in house for them for half what they're paying the other company. Then you get rehired at triple what you were getting paid before. :D

Turns out my last day is Friday.

Time to get :drunk:

They offered me this job in February. Had me move from NYC to California. Looks like I'll be moving back east soon.

Arse!!!!!!!

Been laid off before and it sucks. All the best to ya!

Not so much laid off as asked if I wanted a buy out. Military decided they had too many mobility pilots a couple years ago and offered to let me out of my contract with a nice lump sum. Having deployed 11 times in 4 years and seeing my wife only 6 months in the 3 years we'd been married, I took them up on the offer. Had a nice job lined up teaching in the simulators after I got out, but the wife got picked to fly a different plane at a different base. I now have the official duty title "Trophy Spouse". :mug:

I'm going back to school in January to pick up a couple certificates, so I don't feel like a complete bum. :eek: Of course, I'm letting the AF pay for it.

Terje

I've been out of work since, just started on my funemployment.

They should have fired him/her before he proceeded with such an insane plan to increase operations cost by 6x. Have to wonder how he/she could have come up with such an idea and executed it before owners noticed. Such a shame when companies lay or outsource people only to find out 6-12 months later it was a terrible mistake, only after destroying people's lives.
I agree, try and get hired back. Problem is they may have issues getting out of the contract. If so he/she should not just be fired but spend some time in jail. He/she will probably get a government job from a friend instead.

They should have fired him/her before he proceeded with such an insane plan to increase operations cost by 6x. Have to wonder how he/she could have come up with such an idea and executed it before owners noticed. Such a shame when companies lay or outsource people only to find out 6-12 months later it was a terrible mistake, only after destroying people's lives.
I agree, try and get hired back. Problem is they may have issues getting out of the contract. If so he/she should not just be fired but spend some time in jail. He/she will probably get a government job from a friend instead.

Wouldn't surprise me too they paid him/her in full after firing him/her. Only at that level do you get fired for screwing up and still get your money to go away. Makes you think the only incentive left for a CEO to do well is ego since he will get his money anyway.

Never been laid off... although the airline business is a fickle beast.

I feel for you, getting laid off absolutely sucks. I was laid off for the first time in May. I have been doing the job search thing as my new full time job since.

I hope you find something soon!

Getting laid off hit me like a ton of kegs. I had seniority etc.. blah blah.. didn't matter to the bean counters. I tried my own business but it didn't work out then I got an offer and it has turned out to be the best thing ever. Hang in there BB. Happy hunting. :mug:

Chalk it up to experience, look at it as an opportunity to find something better!

It sucks but you can't help it, things happen.

Worst part is that they made you move :/ what industry do you work in?

I feel your pain. My company has laid off some 25% of it's work force and going for another 10% soon. I'm hoping for the best, but they've let better people than me go already.

Think of how productive you would be if you werent on the forums 23.6 hours a day. But then again, think of how much less fun HBT would be.

I feel everyone's pain. I was laid off on December 10th, 2007 after 8 years of loyal and impeccable service. I have made my previous employer millions of dollars over the years, and they let me go just like that. The day I was laid off, I was contacted by a company wanting to expand into my area telling me I had a job opening their new facility. They just needed a month or two to put it together. I thought, "No problem! I'm on 2 months severance."

My son was 2 months old at the time and I was excited to have some time to spend with him and help the wife out. Well, 2 months turned into 3 and then 4 and they finally fessed up that the economy was scaring them away. By that time, the job market completely dried up.

I have had dozens of interviews, but almost all of them are outside my field. No one in my field is hiring so I have been trying for a lateral move. The problem with that is there are so many people looking for work there are always people more qualified and with relevant experience. I have been to interviews where the interviewers pull out stacks of resume's 2 inches thick showing me what I am up against.

I have liquidated my entire life savings which has finally run out this month. I am proud of myself that I was able to last this long. I am going to lose my house and I can't even get hired for a lower paying, average job as I have been told by interviewers that they are looking for someone permanent and they think I will go running as soon as a better job comes along. They are probably right, but I can't convince them otherwise.

So, it's been 11 months. I know the economic situation is bad, but that doesn't lend comfort to how bad I feel about myself. I have NEVER been out of work longer than 3 weeks in my life. I am sorry to give such a sob story like this on this board, but I hardly have anyone to talk to anymore. My friends all feel sorry for me and avoid me like i've got the plague, My wife is on the verge of depression, so I dare not talk with her about it anymore than absolutely necessary.

At least Obama won. Hopefully things will change for the better. I still have hope. Hope and the dream of one day brewing my own beer on my patio. One day...One day...

I wish you all who are in my situation the best of luck. I hope it doesn't take you as long as it has taken me to find a job. Good luck to you all.

joining late, but I was "let go" 2x

the first was working at a factory in the upland hills of NY along the NY/VT border in the middle of nowhere (I had to drive 40mins to just get gas let alone food) I was glad that didn't work out and I was let go... it was def for the better...

the second was working at an engineering firm, the company hired me and 6 other people and got too big too fast, they went through a lawsuit and couldn't keep the newer staff, so they let us all go...

otherwise, every other job has ended on my call.

Contact the new CEO, tell him that you can do the job in house for them for half what they're paying the other company. Then you get rehired at triple what you were getting paid before.

Well, I would except that I had to sign something saying I wouldn't apply for work there again in order to get my severance. There was definitely some funny business going on.

Just another sign of how destructive greed can be.

I went in on Monday expecting another busy week and was let go in the first hour. Totally out of the blue. They had told us they were done with the re-orgs and I thought I was making a good case to actually add more people to my group.
They're bastards. There are people getting paid a lot of money to **** on others, and they do not even seem to be held accountable to the shareholders. So much for free capitalism. I'll stop there as it is the wrong forum.
Good luck to all of you. I am currently optimistic that this will work out for the better for me.
Cheers.

They're bastards. There are people getting paid a lot of money to **** on others, and they do not even seem to be held accountable to the shareholders. So much for free capitalism.

I could not agree more. That's exactly what I've been thinking. It's the same root cause as the Enron fiasco and it's happening everywhere.

Add to the pile. I got laid off a few years back, which was interesting as the employer would go on to completely shut down the office about a year and a half or two years later. Did my own thing for a while, which was okay, and about a year or so ago got a good spot doing work I'm really interested in with good people I can learn from.

It was a rough go for a while, though. My sympathies and you just gotta keep the chin up and know that things WILL work out for the best. It just might be a while, that's all.

I was laid off three times between January and May. But that is the nature of the beast in the construction trades. Been working steady since Memorial Day, though. Knock on wood.....

Not good at all, especially with the move. My company's sales had just started to ramp up in July, then we got smacked. No employees to lay off, but I was looking forward to a positive cash-flow.

At least 5 people in my "parent" company (developer) today... and mostly "good" people. And this is after 6 were layed off 3 months ago. And that company only has maybe 20-30 employees. I'm pretty sure my company is fine, but it makes you think.

Best wishes to all out there in that position.

Back