So the Wyeast Scottish Ale is a top fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D*Bo

Reaction score
As in the top of my fermentor lid.
Went down stairs to fin a 1/4 inch thicklayer of yeast on top of my fermentor. I'm just hoping that there is enough left inside to finish the fermentation.

D*Bo said:
As in the top of my fermentor lid.
Went down stairs to fin a 1/4 inch thicklayer of yeast on top of my fermentor. I'm just hoping that there is enough left inside to finish the fermentation.

There will be plenty of yeast left, so don't worry about that. You may consider using blow-off tubing on this batch if it's still overflowing, or use it in the future. An outline of the process is available here:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter9.html

Good luck, enjoy the beer :mug:

Not to worry. Many old breweries were setup so the blowoff was automatically gathered for the next run.

Familliar with the blowoff tube (thanks tho), but I'm using plastic bucket primaries.

Actually I'm quite suprised that much yeast was pushed thru the airlock without blocking it up.

Probably should have taken an OG or paid more attention to the volume of wort, that way I would have realized the krausen/yeast layer was going to get out of controll.

D*Bo said:
Familliar with the blowoff tube (thanks tho), but I'm using plastic bucket primaries.

Find a tube that has the same outside diameter as the hole in your bucket lid. Stuff it in there, and run it into a pan of water or something. Blowoff!

Back