So I'm thinking Dried cured beef....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone ever give it a go? Along the lines of bresola or maybe smoked like cecina.....Think I'm going to start one tonight or tomorrow ....

cecina-slice.jpg

I have rhulman and polcyn's Charcutrie on my lap as we speak, plus in three seperate tabs, I have Punk Domestics, wrightfood charcuterie, and ruhlman.com , I was just reading through some cured beer recipes.

The Asian grocery where I buy pork belly has some extremely thin slices of some sort there i think sirloin, to use with pho actually, nearly paper thin, I was actually thinking of curing those as is and hanging them like the picture of the Copa on the wrightfood blog.

coppa_line_500.jpg

I'll have to check them out.
Right now I'm thinking of going super KISS with this and simply using salt, pepper, garlic and pecan smoke

Last year I built a smokehouse using one by ones and some concrete board And I put a lot of holes in it so that cold here would blow through and help dry the meat.

I also used fruit-wood-chips and a small Chimenea type ashtray that I turned into a small fireplace and started small fires inside to smoke out the entire smokehouse with multiple types of fruit tree would

I did that a few times a day every day for a week then once a day every other day for a week and then once every three days for two weeks and that was really good

Smoked large pork loin cuts that I salted for a few days prior to hanging em in the smoker

ok So here we go . . . Was out running around and picked up some plastic sheeting and a humidifier (10x15 roll of 3.5 mil). Assembled myself a small curing "room" in the corner of the basement since I was having problems keeping my humidity at 60%

530560_4757184379236_1369179007_n.jpg

small 3x5 area plastic lined on 2 sides cement block on the other 2... right where I have the ham hanging (no thats not the humidifier)

grabbed a 3lbs Eye of Round while I was out
538657_4757074416487_860091768_n.jpg

gave it a final trim the salted it up and seasoned with sugar, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, fresh crushed juniper and fresh ground pepper
734206_4757075296509_1016481260_n.jpg

tossed it in a vacuum bag for a week
75358_4757075736520_330574089_n.jpg

gonna let it sit for a week then drain and resalt for another week ... more photos to come next Fridayish

I wish I had posted the write up I'm working on before you ran out and got all that stuff. I've come up with a unique curing chamber idea, and was waiting for something to come in from Amazon before I put the thread together. I hope you didn't spend a lot on the humidifier buddy, my design uses a desk top one from walgreens that cost about 20 bucks.

I was at a Mexican Bodega today looking for real Spanish paprika, and found some nice sliced thinly sliced fatty beef labeled "lomo" meat, that I'm going to cure and hand with my pancetta.

I wish I had posted the write up I'm working on before you ran out and got all that stuff. I've come up with a unique curing chamber idea, and was waiting for something to come in from Amazon before I put the thread together. I hope you didn't spend a lot on the humidifier buddy, my design uses a desk top one from walgreens that cost about 20 bucks.

nope just got a cheep $20 one cuz I plan on switching to a fridge in the future. The plastic was $10. Had extra timers laying around (to cycle the humidifier). Think the most expensive party was the fresh herbs and meat :ban:

bresola is done curring so I figured I'd post a update...

rinsed down, patted dry, brought up to room temp, tied and ready to hang....
156327_4850365948717_1129068176_n.jpg

Hanging in The Meat Corner... humidity is a bit low today (can only get it to 55% atm) BUT it is a whopping 2 degrees out at the time of posting as well.....
408385_4850365268700_1825742607_n.jpg

Thinking I may have to take advantage of the couple cool months I have yet and get a salami or 2 and some peperoni going.

Thinking I may have to take advantage of the couple cool months I have yet and get a salami or 2 and some peperoni going.

Yeah I came upon a saying on one of the charcuterie websites that says you should only cure meats in months that have an "r" in it.

I just made 5 pounds of Spanish Chorizo today.

408446_10151232755234067_704568766_n.jpg

My cure chamber is getting crowded. I've got 2 panchetta, 2 duck prosciutto and a couple other things in there as well.

I am always looking for new ideas. Did you ever post this and I just missed it?

bresola is done curring so I figured I'd post a update...

rinsed down, patted dry, brought up to room temp, tied and ready to hang....
156327_4850365948717_1129068176_n.jpg

Hanging in The Meat Corner... humidity is a bit low today (can only get it to 55% atm) BUT it is a whopping 2 degrees out at the time of posting as well.....
408385_4850365268700_1825742607_n.jpg

I love what you are doing here man....but the background clutter in your photos is kind of putting me off. Nothing says flavor like windshield washer fluid (or whatever that blue liquid is in the bottle). And nothing says fresh like a sewage connection. :p

the "windshield washer fluid" is Dawn dish soap since I'm working at my kitchen sink. Notice the vegetable brush, coffee pot and SINK also in the background)
the "sewage connection" is the discharge pipe for my sump since I use the corner of my basement that has the highest humidity and is also the source for the cleanest highly filtered water (rain water filtered through 8-10 feet of clay and sand) I can get my hands on.

know your Twain

the "windshield washer fluid" is Dawn dish soap since I'm working at my kitchen sink. Notice the vegetable brush, coffee pot and SINK also in the background)
the "sewage connection" is the discharge pipe for my sump since I use the corner of my basement that has the highest humidity and is also the source for the cleanest highly filtered water (rain water filtered through 8-10 feet of clay and sand) I can get my hands on.

know your Twain

I guess you missed the ":p"
Relax, I really was only teasin', bro. Believe me....I'm envious. I can't seem to do what you did without thinking I need to import some rare Tuscan cave. You're doin' it....and meanwhile I am still considering. Well done.

I guess you missed the ":p"
Relax, I really was only teasin', bro. Believe me....I'm envious. I can't seem to do what you did without thinking I need to import some rare Tuscan cave. You're doin' it....and meanwhile I am still considering. Well done.

Didja look at my link in the last post of mine? You don't need a tuscan cave, you just need a few things readily available and a cool space...OR you can move the stuff I used and wire up a fridge with the addition of an ebay temp controller.

My setup is in post nine of that thread.

Didja look at my link in the last post of mine? You don't need a tuscan cave, you just need a few things readily available and a cool space...OR you can move the stuff I used and wire up a fridge with the addition of an ebay temp controller.

My setup is in post nine of that thread.

Yup....I saw it. Very well done! I love the cold smoker set-up. With my space limitation my current plan is to shore up my beer pipeline and install a simple set-up in my fermentation cabinet to also control humidity for curing. Something like this:

http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2007/07/key-equipment-piece-3-curing-chamber.html

according to my scale the bresola is done... My mouth and belly agree

426699_4999032145279_298298444_n.jpg

538034_4999070986250_1959709224_n.jpg

Wish I could get some better lighting BUT when I use a flash it gives a alien/ghoulish blue-green reflection that kinda creeped me out

Thinking capicola is next. Gonna pick up a bung and some heritage pork shoulder tomorrow (if I'm not working).

Looks Awesome!!!! I just cold smoked a panchetta that I cured in oregano, garlic and paprika and threw that in there. Everything else I made is ready, and is delicious. I've got some belly, I think I'm gonna make some more Maple Bourbon Bacon.

Back