So....I saw "The Dark Knight"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard He locked himself into an apartment for 2 monthes and did nothing but read books about the joker. As well as books about known serial killers. People said they didn't speak to him for monthes leading up to filming because of how enthralled he was with the part. Its kind of creepy

Method acting is kind of creepy - Daniel Day Lewis has been doing **** like that for years. Read some of the info from behind My Left Foot - he spent so much time in a wheelchair he broke two ribs.

BTW - The Machinist - good flick:rockin:

Great performance Heath, hopefully they won't bring anyone else back to play the joker in later movies, they do however leave that door open.

Unfortunately the performance was good, maybe even close to great, but not "Oscar Worthy" The oscar buzz around him in this movie is entierly a creation of the fans and the studio, non of the people who nominate and decide the oscars are even talking about him in this role....

Unfortunately the performance was good, maybe even close to great, but not "Oscar Worthy" The oscar buzz around him in this movie is entierly a creation of the fans and the studio, non of the people who nominate and decide the oscars are even talking about him in this role....

I politely disagree, that performance was oscar nomination worthy. Even though it's a lot tougher for someone in a summer popcorn movie to get one, he's totally worthy of one. He carried the entire movie.

beerfactory- I agree with you about Batman's voice. I did think the ominous hum before action scenes and all hell breaking loose was excellent.

Sources close to the actor said he 'flew off the handle' at London's Dorchester hotel after Jenny Bale said 'some outrageous things'.
However, a source close to the 34-year-old actor says Bale is confident he’s done nothing wrong, and blames his mother.
The source said: ‘Christian was stressed, but he didn’t lay a finger on anyone. Instead, he flew off the handle and cussed his mother. He just got very loud because his mother was saying some very outrageous things about him and his wife.’
‘Normally Christian would just call a friend and go out to a pub to cool off. But he was literally trapped into this confrontation with his mother and sister because there was an army of fans and paparazzi outside.’
The source also claimed Bale had been deeply affected by the death of Ledger.
A friend said: 'Christian pretends he's calm and collected but you really started to see the cracks in his façade in January, right after Heath Ledger had died.
'Christian was in the middle of a very brief break from work when he heard the news, and it was massive blow to him.
'They had become very close during the making of The Dark Knight and Christian went into virtual hiding for the six weeks after Heath was found dead.
‘He wasn't returning phone calls and he wasn't a happy man. It's foolish to think that he's been able to completely shake off that grief just as Heath and his work is finally being seen by audiences.
'He expected to share this moment with his friend, and now he can't.

Supposedly his sister was also trying to mooch 200k off of him. I think I'd have gotten pretty loud as well...

Heard on the radio it has broken a record in sales. Something like 8 million in 5 days or whatever.

Meh. I am not much for Theaters these days. Too picky about the quality of the cinema to really enjoy the show. I'll wait til' it's out on DVD.

We do have a new cinema opened up recently that serves beer and liquor during the program. It's a roll back to the dinner theater but, at $20.00 a person (food not included) I think I will pass on that.

HAHAHAHA
When I opened up this thread, the ad at the top was "who is the best Joker? VOTE" with a picture of nicolson and ledger on each side, thats crazy.
I saw the midnight showing to, freakn sweet film. Ledger did one of the best jobs I have ever seen of a movie villain. Definately an award winner. He did a great job maintaining the jokers 'ticks' and personality actions. the head jerk, the licking and clicking inside the mouth when talking, it made the character so believable.

"Wanna see a magic trick?"
WHAM!!!

SWMBO and I are going to see it again tonight. We saw it last weekend but got there late and had to sit in the first row.......my neck freakin' hurt after that!

all I have to say is: WOW.

very cool flick. SWMBO and I went and saw it last night and were completely blown out of the water, her and I went into it expecting it to by all hype and were very pleased with what was presented.

I agree, though the movie did nail Two Face dead on.

I think that's what really made it for me, that they got him so right. The sliding towards evil acts even before the incident made it more realistic that he would just snap outright afterwards, and he never was a "supervillain" in any real way.

Loved the fact that they worked the good heads/bad heads coin in in a way that made perfect sense for him as well.

Shhhh! No spoilers, Most people didn't even know two face was in this flick!;)

If they didn't know it was coming when the previews showed Harvey Dent, then they'd have no context for having anything spoiled. And this is coming from someone who watched the cartoon, not even read the comics.. :p

Wife and I went last week. Watched it in our older, less satifying theater, but it was still awesum. The Joker is the schnitztitz (sp)! I was a bit put-off by the Batman's voice sometimes, and my wife complained a few times, but it was stilla great film. Perhaps a bit long, but lots of action, and the Joker was insane!! (Literally!)

Must-have Blueray.

I finally got to read this thread because I saw it over the weekend. Wife and MIL watched Mama Mia, FIL and I watched Dark Knight. It was a very well made movie, and I loved it.

I hope that they can continue on with this series without compromise because of Ledger.

Saw it this past Sunday as well and the movie was great. The batman voice annoyed me a bit as well but I was listening for it because of these posts. I watched Batman Begins again about a week ago and the voice was guttural there too but not quite as much as this movie.

SWMBO ad I saw this last night and I have to tell you all that I was very pissed by the end of the 35+min of ads before the movie even started, Then to sit for another 2.5 hours, the movie was good but I thought it was a bit to drawn out they could have easily made this movie 2 hours or less and it would have been straight up one of the best movies. Joker was very sinister IMO he was the star of the movie.
JJ

a) Joker-- Nicholson vs Ledger? Both excellent, just different.

b) Ledger dead making a difference? He who experiments with mixing pharmaceuticals alone in an apartment risks death. It's stupid to dabble like that alone. Frankly, I'd be more inclined to have less respect for an actor who does stupid crap like that.
exactly how i feel. heath ledger was AMAZING...completely different role than nicholsen. at least he finished the movie, too bad he won't be able to make a sequel.

From what I read about it, it seemed that Ledger was getting practically no sleep from playing the Joker and trying to get into the right mindset for the character and was dosing himself so he could actually settle down and sleep, and as an ironic side effect was getting more and more into the character by doing so. He basically drove himself mad for the duration and ODed afterwards after he was trying to come down from playing the role.

this is all bull****. he was far done with batman when he kicked the bucket and had personal issues and drug problems which we will never know about or truly understand the depths of. i disregard these made-up stories that find their way through the internet.

this is all bull****. he was far done with batman when he kicked the bucket and had personal issues and drug problems which we will never know about or truly understand the depths of. i disregard these made-up stories that find their way through the internet.

The rumors I heard were about him not being able to cope with fame (ala Cobain). As you said though, considering none of us knew him or any other celebrities personally, we'll never know the truth...

SWMBO and I went to see this in IMAX last night...First, AMEN for no previews in the IMAX. Lights dim, movie starts! How it should be.

Show was sold out and we got there kind of late so we were in like the 3rd or 4th row. A little of a bummer, but this movie was just amazing. Great work by all involved!

I agree, this was an awesome movie. I have been a fan of batman since the first one with Nicholson. True they have evolved now, but I think for the better (Batman & Robin sucked). I think Ledger shined in this movie, and he will forever be remembered for it. By the way, it was long, but this is just me, I wanted more! The time went by very quickly it seemed when I watched it.

A movie that fulfills the promise of the best Hollywood movies in that it offers us transport to an alternate yet recognizable reality.A lot of superlatives have been hurled in the direction of Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight, and for once I’m not inclined to disagree with any of them. It may well be the best movie of its type ever made.

Saw it at a drive in with my buddy, I thought it was freaking awesome...then a few days later, saw a Top Gear episode with the Tumbler in it....awesome!

Awesome flick! Loved it. If you've seen it, you love this part. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally saw it about a week ago. It was the first time I've been to the theater in like 3 years and it was well worth it. I loved Batman Begins and this was 3x better than that. Heath Ledger was excellent and it is a real shame he won't be able to reprise the role. I also thought Aaron Eckhart was very good in his role. Christian Bale always kicks ass, but yes his Batman voice was pretty excessive. Awesome movie overall...:rockin:

This film was Rated 9 on IMDb so I knew it was "Special" It was up there with the best.

Yes Batman's voice was the only bad part of the film.

2.5 hours was just right. SWMBO said it makes a change to see a good film.
I watched it at home on a DVD. The big screen must of been impressive.
I like the way there was no titles, straight into the action and no real repeating film.

Trivia: The first Batman film without Batman in the title and the Title "The Dark Knight" only appears at the end.

Anyone get it on BD yet?

Yes. My kid watched it our friends house when we visited for New Years. I haven't seen it since the theater though. I caught just abit at the friends house (The scene where Joker is trying to use the detonator...)

I have not had a chance to check out the special features. The movie itself is worth the price of purchase though.

Back