So, I have this old guitar amp...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4mmy86

Reaction score
...and I can find hardly any information about it.

Anyone encounter a Peavey Revolution solid state head in their day? Came out around '91. It's basically the solid state version of the Ultra 120. The back of the head says it's a whopping 500 watts!

It's a really great head especially for metal. Stereo reverb and chorus, killer crunch, great for lead. Seems pretty rare, hardly any information on it I can find.

500 watts is almost certainly the input power/consumption. For a rough estimation of output power divide that 500 by four or five.

My understanding about prices for vintage amps is that tube amps are really sought after and valuable. The market for solid state is limited and not as pricey.

Couldn't get pics to upload from my phone. Here she is...

0724142102a.jpg

Peavey has made some good stuff. I am currently running a Solid State Vyper, because the Fender Frontman I had before that was way too loud and didn't have any effects. I traded in the amp and my GNX workstation (way too complicated) for the Peavey.

Before that I had a 5150 2x12 and it was REALLY too loud for my room and had issues. I preferred the sound of the XXX.

Still this Vyper is way too loud! You can get the next size down for $130!! Amps are cheap these these days.

I would still prefer a good tube amp if I could afford a good one. Never should have traded my Fender Deuxe Reverb, issue 65-68 to my friends.

I've never heard of your amp head, but I can imagine it's not bad for shredding on. I remember plenty of tube and SS amps sounding pretty good back them for Peavey. They had the edge on SS sound IMO. Back then I was running a Peavey practice amp with transtube technology. Not a bad little amp. I think the 5150 heads were coming out right after that.

I've got it running to a Peavey 412MS 300w cab and it's stupid loud. I live in a small apartment with neighbors beside of and below me and I can easily piss all of them off by cranking it up to about 2. I get the impression it was made to cater to people wanting that mid range Dimebag Darrel crunch, and it does a good job at that. Has remarkable range all around really, deep growling lows and crystalline edge and the digital effects are pretty flawless, especially for it's time.

It's just so much more amp than I need. I'm going to try and sell it soon. I just bought an Epiphone Valve Junior stack and it's much more practical for my purposes.

I read someone say they paid $700 for the revolution head when it came out, and the cab seems to sell for about $200 these days. I'm gonna try to get about $500 out of the stack.

Back