So i have a stupid problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hops4life

Reaction score
So primarily I have done all extract or partial boil batches up until sept when my FIL and I did an all grain heady topper clone (using cloned Conan yeast). He is an experienced brewer and after the batch was done he left me with an igloo cooler he had fit with a valve that we used as our mash cooler. It worked well and he simply wanted a bigger cooler so he left me this one.

I was planning on using it this upcoming weekend to brew an ESB but today discovered he took the kettle screen out of the bottom. Generally I'd have no issue ordering one with my next set of ingredients but since I just ordered and given the holiday tomorrow I find myself in a bind. We have a local brew shop which I'm not sure will be open Friday or Saturday.

Anyone know of a way to make the mash cooler work efficiently (ie without clogging a ton) in a simple manner I could use for just one brew? I hate to out off brewing given the long weekend.

Any tricks are MUCH appreciated.

I use a braided hose from the plumbing department. Take the vinyl hose from inside, cut slots into it - place it back into the braided mesh to keep it from collapsing.

If you want - you can throw some rice hulls on top of the hose to help filter.

Thanks guys! I figure I will call LHBS Friday see if he has any otherwise lowes is probably my best bet.

I thought about getting some screen like was suggested and fasten it over the opening for the valve.

Dynachrome said:
I use a braided hose from the plumbing department. Take the vinyl hose from inside, cut slots into it - place it back into the braided mesh to keep it from collapsing. If you want - you can throw some rice hulls on top of the hose to help filter.

So I'm not super handy but going to give this a shot. Out of curiosity how easy is it removing the vinyl hose?

So just to update here is what I ended up doing.

image-381015980.jpg

$7 worth of CPVC.

Back