So I dry fired a brewhardware element today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatulentfox

Reaction score
I accidentally plugged in the wrong element and walked away for a few minutes. I came back to find this:

It was glowing like a stove top. It had been burning for several minuites. I turned it off (of course) and let it cool back down. It later worked fine for the boil.

I'm impressed. I would have expected it to blow. Anyway, its a great element as far as i'm concerned.

I also used this site tube for the first time today as well. It's cool little piece of hardware.

I have two of those 5500 watt ULWD elements and they work great. Glad to hear it's still doing it's thing even after a very hot dry fire! Nice sight glass by the way!

John

Yikes. That scares the hell out of me.

Yes this should scare the hell out of all electric brewers. I'm always messing with my gear. I am very aware of the electricity part because that's most likely game over if you get bit. But reaching in to adjust something on a kettle and not knowing the element was glowing red just a few seconds ago. OUCH! You may need a spatula to scrap your skin off.

Latest posts

Back