So, I dropped a hot dog bun into my boiling wort...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haterade

Reaction score
Meh. I was in the last 15 min of the boil for my belgian pale ale and figured I would make a few hot dogs before I got to the cooling. I was taking the warmed up buns out of the overhead microwave and one fell into my freaking wort. About 15 seconds of boil until I found a strainer and fished it out. I got all of the big pieces.

Will it have any impact? I actually ran it through my auto-siphon instead of just dumping into my fermenter. This sucks... I spent like 4 hours doing this recipe.

To be frank (PUN), my guess is you are fine. At only 15 seconds your beer probably didn't soak up much dog flavor. I had a close call with some taco bell once....

That's pretty unique, I gotta hand it to you. Most people just use Biscuit Malt for that bready flavor.

That's too funny! Next time, try to drop it into your mash...you may recover some fermentables!

All things considered, that's probably one of the less damaging things you could drop in your boil. I'm sure it will be fine. ;)

Might add some (possibly odd) flavor! :D I know someone who boils oysters with his wort for one of his house lagers.

I'd say no harm done.

Last Thursday I brewed up 10 gallons of my house beer. An extract fat tire clone. When I strained the steeping grains I didn't notice the three earwigs under the rim of my strainer. At least I fished three out of the now boiling brew.

Isn't the first time that happened, either

I love my house beer......

I can imagine the "Holy ****!" expression I would have if this happened, but like everyone else said, no harm done. It will be a funny as hell story to tell as you and your friends sit around drinking it down! Maybe serve with hotdogs!

If it was just the bun without any condiments on it then it shouldn't hurt the beer at all. If it had stuff on it, it might impact the flavor but to what degree I don't know.

I thought you dropped a wiener into the wort. I was going to tell you it is not recommended to brew naked, but now I see it was a bun..... Well, I guess the same advice could be applicable.

That is funny.

I brewed up a Pilsner a few months ago and when I was transferring the cooled wort to the primary I found a marble sized rock at the bottom of the brew pot. Only place I figured it could have come from was one of the hop bags. Beer tasted fine, but it did freak me out at first.

I thought you dropped a wiener into the wort. I was going to tell you it is not recommended to brew naked, but now I see it was a bun..... Well, I guess the same advice could be applicable.

Why not, I thought you were SUPPOSED to brew without pants? Good chi. :drunk:

I opened the cabinets above to stove to hand my wife sugar and some flour fell into my wort. I was making a Boston ale clone. I kept thinking my wort was going to turn into a cajun gumbo. Turned out it was fine. Not only that its clear as a bell when served cold lol.

Hmm, makes me think.. I wonder if I could make a sausage gravy and biscuits flavored beer.. mmm yummy.

While reading this, I was thinking it could be a real time saver if you cooked your hotdogs in the boiling wort. Dinner AND beer with no more mess! Might make some tasty dogs, too. Though, I might try and keep the bun dry..

What about adding onions and sweet relish? DO you add that in at 5 minutes, or right at flameout?

Isn't there beer out there made by soaking stale bread in water and then fermenting that?

might be something to do with stale bread!

Like a hotdog in a kettle....similar to a hallway.

Oh, you dropped the bun in....

Remember that you will only get aroma and a little flavor from the dog. If you want bitterness, drop one in at 60 minutes. :D

You'll be ok.

But hey, buy a turkey fryer setup so you could brew outdoors. Just watch out for bird sheit or next-door neighbors falling in your brew pot :D

Back