So I added fruit.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural

Reaction score
So I bought fresh mangos, pealed, cut, mashed, then froze them. After one week I threw them into my fermenter and fermentation started up again. Although I when I take a sample the mango is there, and sometimes it's compeltely absent. So I took a peak inside and see that most of the mango is floating, and there is this thick.... krausen? I'm not even sure what this is.

https://imgur.com/UhP6FcK

It's been there for awhile. I don't know if it's going to drop or what. I added the mango on Sunday afternoon. Should I poke this stuff down? leave it? Wait for it to drop out?

I was fermenting at 60F and i've since raised the temp up to 68F as of last night.

Mango is a nightmare to rack off of. It doesn't compact at all and makes for a very messy transfer. My best advice is to cold crash for a few days and then rack into your keg / bottling bucket with minimal disturbance.

I wouldn't mess with trying to poke at it or anything.

How much mango did you add per gallon? I've found that mango is a very delicate flavor and requires more than 1lb per gallon to get real flavor out of.

Mango is a nightmare to rack off of. It doesn't compact at all and makes for a very messy transfer. My best advice is to cold crash for a few days and then rack into your keg / bottling bucket with minimal disturbance.

I wouldn't mess with trying to poke at it or anything.

How much mango did you add per gallon? I've found that mango is a very delicate flavor and requires more than 1lb per gallon to get real flavor out of.
I added about 1lb per gallon.

I'll definitely just leave it alone and try not to suck any of it into the keg while transferring but it will definitely be impossible to see until it hits the tubing haha. I don't have the ability to cold crash this so we'll just see how she goes!

Back