So How The Hell Do You Install A Temperature Controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryodom

Reaction score
So I have an A19ABA controller. I wired it and carried it outside to go install on the freezer. Do you run the probe in to the freezer through the drain plug, lid or does it replace the pre-existing freezer thermostat? Thought I'd ask before I broke something. Never worked on a freezer before today.

I would just drill a hole into the fridge and put it through it.

Then to seal it up I would use the "sticky dough" stuff that you use when you put up flipchart paper on walls. That's pretty much the same stuff that the fridge repair guy used when he was fixing my fridge. The pros of this sticky dough is that it's easily removed in case you need to replace the probe.

But you could always use something like PU foam, or silicone - but it's more of a permanent thing.

First, if its a freezer, DO NOT drill any holes in it, there are cooling coils in the walls, you don't want to puncture those. For my freezer I just put the probe over the top lip and close the lid on it, it seals just fine. There's no need to remove the factory thermostat

The lead on the probe is not very thick. Just run the lead in through the door and shut the door. The magnetic strip on the door is pretty flexible and will form a good seal even with the cord in the way.

If you must drill a hole for it, be careful. You do not want to puncture one of the lines that run through the walls. FYI, the only place you can be sure has no coolant lines is the door.

Thanks for the replies guys. Got it going through the top and it seems to be running. We'll see how it works out.

At the moment I've got the probe in a glass of water sitting on the shelf and with the external controller set to 73 it's getting down to 59. I'm assuming once I add two 5 gallon buckets of beer to ferment it'll stay closer to the actual setting. I've also got the differential set to 1 degree and the freezer controller is at the coldest setting.

I'm new to fermenting with a chest freezer and any input would be appreciated.

If you really want to drill into the fridge, turn it off for enough time to warm up. Then turn it back on and on some refrigerators you will first see condensation where the lines run.

I have also heard that a stud finder works for finding where the coolant lines are but I have never tried it.

Back