Snowing & Bored.. Grains? what the..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimzella

Reaction score
Had a bucket sitting around with leftover grains.. had washed WLP002 in the fridge.. and had some spare hops... and Time... oh well.. a great time for a Strange batch.. this is what i am brewing right now.. just started the 60 min hop addition.

Boil Size: 6.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.90 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 18.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 75.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
10 lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row
2 lbs Munich 10L (Briess)
1 lbs Cara 45 (Dingemans)
1 lbs Caramel Malt - 80L 6-Row (Briess)
10.8 oz Carahell (Weyermann)
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess)
1.6 oz Chocolate (Dingemans)
28.00 g Cluster [7.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min
14.17 g Fuggles [5.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
8.60 g Celeia [3.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 4.4 oz
Mash temp 154F 75min

so far so good....

Im bored and reading your post. And its colder than crap and its getting old. Brew it up. Wish I was brewing.

Sounds like a good brown ale. I've made a couple of "leftover" beers and I stumbled on a really good recipe that way once. It's a porter with a good amount of chocolate amount in it. It's really good.

Sounds like an amber to me almost with all the crystal malts. I made a kitchen sink brew my last brew I did in Spring it was a strange kind of foreign export stout black Ipa kinda combo. I might drink that tonight now that I think about it I put one in the fridge last night or other night.

Edit: I had it last night and its a nice merging of styles to me. It is a nice frankenbrew. And one that turned out better than some of my other normal per style brews.

thanks, I was kinda wondering... light brown ale? or amber ale?... final gravity was 1.068.. dunno what happened there. a little shy according to BS.
its a kitchen sink ... lol so I guess it really don't matter.

what would happen if I made some candy syrup and added it about a day or two after fermentation? maybe a pound of amber syrup..? maybe? no.. lol why not even..

Sounds like a good brown ale. I've made a couple of "leftover" beers and I stumbled on a really good recipe that way once. It's a porter with a good amount of chocolate amount in it. It's really good.

I love browns, shoot me the rec.. if you don't mind. I will try it.
you see what I do with grains.. :)

Sounds like an amber/copper colored ale to me. Brown would basically describe it. Maybe name it "Strange Brew" after the Cream song? :rockin:

Latest posts

Back