Sneaking out for a 6-pack of commercial swill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
Been patching and painting the kid's bedroom for about two weeks. I'm starting to see pink mash tuns dancing around the room. Things are gonna get ugly without a break for a brew session.

And the bottled stuff is still green, dammit.

Anyone have a nervous breakdown and sneak a six pack of commercial brew? :(

I won't tell. promise.

PBR every now and then, mostly when hanging out with BMC friends, but I'll drink the leftovers by myself if I don't have anything else cold. Or just to get rid of it.

I still have a soft spot for Mickey's. 40's were just the way things were in high school and early college before I discovered brewing.

Well, tonight I dumped 2 kegs of Octoberfest, 1 full keg of a german pilsner, and half a keg of a sour brown. None of them interested me anymore. I've got beer in bottles, in boxes, that I didn't feel like digging through. I've got 4 beers ready for kegging, but I found myself "in between".

So... I just picked up a sixer of Stone IPA. Man, they get some good aroma on this beer. It's not too heavy, fairly light colored, and 100% IPA. Pretty decent.

I've decided to just brew IPAs and pale ales until I get a good stock of kegs, then go back to other stuff. What was I thinking?

Work, family and house stuff has had me in the negative as far as homebrew brewed and homebrew drank. A liquor store in town started doing growler fills. It's been a life saver. Growlers I've gotten from there; Bitches Brew, 90 Minute IPA, 120 Minute IPA, Stone Double Bastard, Ithaca Flower Power . . .

Well, tonight I dumped 2 kegs of Octoberfest, 1 full keg of a german pilsner, and half a keg of a sour brown. None of them interested me anymore. I've got beer in bottles, in boxes, that I didn't feel like digging through. I've got 4 beers ready for kegging, but I found myself "in between".

So... I just picked up a sixer of Stone IPA. Man, they get some good aroma on this beer. It's not too heavy, fairly light colored, and 100% IPA. Pretty decent.

I've decided to just brew IPAs and pale ales until I get a good stock of kegs, then go back to other stuff. What was I thinking?

There's something seriously wrong with you. Don't you know there are thousands of beer drinkers in America going thirsty? And you DUMP all that beer?! There should be a wall of shame on here.

There's something seriously wrong with you. Don't you know there are thousands of beer drinkers in America going thirsty? And you DUMP all that beer?! There should be a wall of shame on here.

A wise chinese man once told me, give a man a beer, he'll guzzle it in a second. Teach a man to brew, he'll guzzle for the rest of his life. Time for those lazy asses to get off the couch and brew.

Sure, put me on the Wall of Shame. I should have taken pictures of my kegs pouring out onto the grass. I have a friend who recycles beer into fuel ;) and I've donated to his cause before. But typically if I get tired of a beer it hits the back 40. Maybe there is something wrong with me because it doesn't bother me even a little bit. I get a little excited that I have free kegs - time to brew!

Dude, seriously! Think of those are without beer and the means to make it!

My homebrew is actually outnumbered by commercial craft brew in my beer fridge, usually. When I don't feel like dirtying up a glass and or rinsing a bottle, though, I will reach for a can of chesterfield. Nice to grab after I mow the yard or if I'm working in my workshop.

The only swill I buy comes in 30 packs. And PBR is some pretty swell swill.

A wise chinese man once told me, give a man a beer, he'll guzzle it in a second. Teach a man to brew, he'll guzzle for the rest of his life. Time for those lazy asses to get off the couch and brew.

Sure, put me on the Wall of Shame. I should have taken pictures of my kegs pouring out onto the grass. I have a friend who recycles beer into fuel ;) and I've donated to his cause before. But typically if I get tired of a beer it hits the back 40. Maybe there is something wrong with me because it doesn't bother me even a little bit. I get a little excited that I have free kegs - time to brew!

A full time job, a 3 year old, and my day to day responsibilities kinda prohibit me from brewing as much as you seem to do. I don't think being lazy has much to do with it in my case. It's not unheard of for my pipeline to get low or dry before another brew day comes around. I know for a fact that I won't be brewing until after new year because there's so much going on. Sounds like you could have donated all that beer you dumped to some local Christmas parties or at least put out a notice of availability to your friends. I think my friends would have hung me high if they knew I did something like that. How much $$ did all that beer cost you to brew? If you know you're not going to drink it all, why even make that much?

Effed up indeed.

i'm with you, passedpawn. i just dumped some munich dunkel down the drain. I didn't want it anymore.

life's too short to drink...uh...beer you just don't want to drink.

I'll scribble my own name next to PP's on that wall. I like the process as much or more than the product. I'll usually force patience to free up a keg, but I've learned I'm happier if I dump a keg in favor of a new brew rather than delaying a brew day waiting for an opening.

A full time job, a 3 year old, and my day to day responsibilities kinda prohibit me from brewing as much as you seem to do. I don't think being lazy has much to do with it in my case. It's not unheard of for my pipeline to get low or dry before another brew day comes around. I know for a fact that I won't be brewing until after new year because there's so much going on. Sounds like you could have donated all that beer you dumped to some local Christmas parties or at least put out a notice of availability to your friends. I think my friends would have hung me high if they knew I did something like that. How much $$ did all that beer cost you to brew? If you know you're not going to drink it all, why even make that much?

Effed up indeed.

Of course I didn't know I wasn't going to drink it. Sometimes you just get tired of something. In the summer I made 20g of that same pilsner. So yea, I drank plenty of it. I also made 20g of the Octoberfest. I had company for the recent holidays and we drank half of it. The sour... I have more sour in bottles than I'll drink for a long time.

I don't brew as much as I would like, but I do brew large batches. Brewing very early is how I get it done before my family wakes. I get the strike water heating before 5 and I'm cleaned up before my family heads to church (I brew Sunday mornings). This has worked great for me through my kids growing up - try it!

I've got an electric system (no propane) I built that is very very efficient. Re-using yeast and buying bags of grain from the local nano and bulk hops keeps my costs very low too. So, while I don't like to throw money away, it's not quite as bad as you are suggesting. That keg of pilsner was 10# of grain and 2oz of Saaz. That's about $8. That's a small price to pay to open up the brewing schedule again.

I think I am very generous with my beer. Believe me, if I could have found someone to drink it, I'd have gladly given it away. It's a lot easier to do that with bottled beer than kegs. I've got a new keezer that I just built (perlicks are getting installed in the next day or 2) and it's going to have beer that I want to drink in it.

Of course I didn't know I wasn't going to drink it. Sometimes you just get tired of something. In the summer I made 20g of that same pilsner. So yea, I drank plenty of it. I also made 20g of the Octoberfest. I had company for the recent holidays and we drank half of it. The sour... I have more sour in bottles than I'll drink for a long time.

I don't brew as much as I would like, but I do brew large batches. Brewing very early is how I get it done before my family wakes. I get the strike water heating before 5 and I'm cleaned up before my family heads to church (I brew Sunday mornings). This has worked great for me through my kids growing up - try it!

I've got an electric system (no propane) I built that is very very efficient. Re-using yeast and buying bags of grain from the local nano and bulk hops keeps my costs very low too. So, while I don't like to throw money away, it's not quite as bad as you are suggesting. That keg of pilsner was 10# of grain and 2oz of Saaz. That's about $8. That's a small price to pay to open up the brewing schedule again.

I think I am very generous with my beer. Believe me, if I could have found someone to drink it, I'd have gladly given it away. It's a lot easier to do that with bottled beer than kegs. I've got a new keezer that I just built (perlicks are getting installed in the next day or 2) and it's going to have beer that I want to drink in it.

PP, my previous post was meant to be a joke and I don't judge you. I have, and I am sure many others have, dumped beer for whatever reason. I like variety in life and the taste buds get little bored sometimes. That's also why I brew Beer, Cider, Mead, Wine and soda. With my kids grown up and gone and their friends gone, we don't have as many to drink any "extra" I have. Personally, I'm envious of your system!:mug:

This thread started out with a story about a man painting the bedroom of an Innocent child and devolved into this. People bragging about dumping innocent kegs.

For shame!

Back on subject, since I'm not a brewer(yet, maybe some day) I don't have a ready supply on hand. If I am drinking beer at home it's most likely a Boddingtons(so a 4 pack) Or any of the Gluten Free offerings from New Planet(SWMBO is gluten-intollerant)

Latest posts

Back