S'more Stout recipe..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPEtech

Reaction score
Put together a recipe for a sweet stout.. Aiming for S'mores.. Figure it'll be good once the weather gets cooler.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Sweet Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.070
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.098
Final Gravity: 1.034
ABV (standard): 8.41%
IBU (tinseth): 37.88
SRM (morey): 40

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - American - Vienna (40%)
5 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (28.6%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 120L (2.9%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (2.9%)
0.5 lb - Belgian - Biscuit (2.9%)
0.5 lb - Canadian - Honey Malt (2.9%)
0.5 lb - American - Chocolate (2.9%)
0.5 lb - American - Roasted Barley (2.9%)
0.5 lb - Flaked Barley (2.9%)
0.25 lb - Belgian - Special B (1.4%)
0.5 lb - Belgian Candi Sugar - Dark (2.9%)
1.25 lb - Lactose (Milk Sugar) (7.1%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 31.75
0.5 oz - Mount Hood, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.8, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 4.61
0.5 oz - Mount Hood, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.8, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 1.52

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Mash Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4 gal,
2) Sparge Temp: 165 F, Time: 20 min, Amount: 3 gal,

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
8 oz - Cocoa Powder, Time: 0 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
2 each - Vanilla Beans, Time: 0 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary
2 each - Whirlfloc Tablet, Time: 20 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil
1 tbsp - Cinnamon, Time: 0 min, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Wyeast - Irish Ale 1084
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid

NOTES:
7-10 days in primary @ 65 degrees F
7-10 days in secondary @ 65-75 degrees F
Add 2 vanilla beans in secondary (heat to 160 F for 15 minutes before adding)
Add 8 oz cocoa powder in secondary (heat to 160 F for 15 minutes before adding)
Add 1tbsp cinnamon in secondary (heat to 160 F for 15 minutes before adding)

What do you think? Hoping the biscuit and honey malt, along with the cinnamon and vanilla gives something of a graham cracker and marshmallow flavor to go with the chocolate.

Travis

You don't want hop flavor or aroma for this one, so get rid of the 20 and 5 min hops. For S'mores, you want chocolate, marshmallow, and graham cracker. Toast up some marshmallows in the oven, and add them along with the graham crackers into the mash. Secondary on cocoa nibs.

OK, so with that said, I got to try a S'mores beer from the Deschutes pub. Its flavor was spot on, and it was good, but I couldn't drink more than a pint of it. This is a fun experiment, but not a great drinking beer.

Id say lots of lactose maybe a touch of vanilla because fermented marshmallows is just a lot of hot alcohol flavor. Done it before

Campfire stout is good. The restaurant I work at had it for a while. I spoke to the brewer one time and he said he puts marshmallows in the mash. A ton of flavor come through in that beer so I would try that, rather then recreating the flavor.

I also agree with kicking the late additions.

So, ditch the Mt. Hood?

I guess it's a shot in the dark on the marshmallow amount.. Think I can toss them into the boil and not have a gummy mess?

I was thinking it would gum up my false bottom if I used them in the mash..

HPEtech said:
I was thinking it would gum up my false bottom if I used them in the mash..
Just mix the marshmallows in after you've got the mash going, and mix them in a little. It's a large grain bill, so they should stay in the upper portion of the mash as long as you stick situ circular stirring instead of plunging.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread (maybe its not dead but rather still bottle conditioning :cross: ) but just curious how this turned out. I'm in Seattle for a few days and picked up a few bombers at a local store to try....Needless to say, I just started google-ing "High Water Brewing Campfire Stout recipe". Wow this stuff is fantastic. I agree I couldn't drink a ton of it but 22oz won't be an issue. There doesn't seem to be many hits for a clone of this but I'd certainly love to mess around with a 1 gallon BIAB and try to create something similar. Hopefully the OP has some tips.

Latest posts

Back