Smooth *Honey* Nut Brown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalleyeGuy

Reaction score
Just brewed my second extract batch. Started out with Smooth Nut Brown kit from Midwest http://www.midwestsupplies.com/smooth-nut-brown.html

One thing I changed, other than upgrading the yeast, is to add honey to the wort. I have a 5 gallon pot to boil the wort, so I need to add water to the wort when it goes to primary. I boiled about a gallon of water, and right after I turned off the heat I added about a cup of fresh pure honey.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I am open to critique and suggestions.

Hoping to increase the alcohol a little bit, and add some sweetness to the beer.

A cup is not very much, I think. How much weight?

Anyway, honey is highly fermentable, and you may not get much honey flavor after the yeast have had their way. Have fun with the brew, I'm sure it will be fine.

A cup is not very much, I think. How much weight?

Anyway, honey is highly fermentable, and you may not get much honey flavor after the yeast have had their way. Have fun with the brew, I'm sure it will be fine.

It wasn't all too much. The container came from the beekeeper and wasn't marked for weight, but by holding it up next to another different 2lb bottle of honey I would say I put in about 1lb.

I wasn't sure how strong it would be, so I held back a little bit. Maybe I will add more next time I try. Would it be to sweet if you added some to the secondary?

I have access to a lot of (free) fresh honey, so I am sure I will be experimenting with it a lot.

Why not try a mead with all that free honey?

already have one going!

IMG-20120617-00603.jpg

Back