Smoking your own chipotles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danek

Reaction score
I've got a crop of around 30 jalapenos that are just about ready for harvest. I'd like to smoke some of them to make into a Chipotle Ale (which will also feature my home-grown hops). Has anyone ever smoked their own peppers before, and if so, do you have any tips for a novice on how to go about it?

Thx as ever :mug:

I do this all the time. Simplest way is to just take a needle and thread, string them up through the stalks , hang them in the smoker and then hot smoke them for around an hour or so or to your liking.

I usually cold smoke the peppers for 6 hours and then place them in a dehydrator to dry them out. I have smoked many different peppers this way for salsas and other recipes.

Here is a link that may help. It is a similar technique that may work for you.

Yeah that's the other side of the coin. I should mention that I always convert mine right away into sauce. If you want to keep them long without refrigeration or make a powder, then you need to dry them. Either method will produce great results.

When i have done this in the past i have hot smoked the peppers for about 2 hours then i put them into my food dehydrator. I usually store them frozen - because after all that work i'm not taking any chances on giving them up to mold.

What is your setup for cold smoking? I've been thinking about doing some cold smoking of salmon and maybe bacon...

2 setups.
Quick smoke - 22" weber, pie plate full of ice, low fire and soaked wood chips.

low and slow - 4 shelf upright smoker , propane fired, ice, ice and more ice. soaked wood chips in chip box. Look for these to go on sale in the next month or so, as hunting season slips into Christmas. I have done smoked mozzarella this way and never worried about temperature control.

mmmmmm bacon.

Speaking of..

oh nevermind, I just read "smoking your own chipotles" and I immediately thought "If I could smoke my own chipotles I'd never need a girlfriend"

Then i realized you were talking bout peppers....

because after all that work i'm not taking any chances on giving them up to mold.

Drying is not hard, but the moisture content has to be right. If the dried item snaps, it's too dry. It should only give slightly, like hard leather. And always wait until whatever you have dried is at room temperature before storing or you can get condensation. I use Mason jars with lids.

Back