smokin ribs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I woke up at 8am to lite the fire on my weber smokey mountain. Cooking up some ribs for my Dad's bday.

Following the B.R.I.T.U. recipe (best ribs in the universe)

I will post pics when the smoke is complete

bbq32209004.jpg

bbq32209003p.jpg

bbq32209002.jpg

bbq32209001.jpg

They turned out great, tear off the bone
I smoked @ 225 degF for right around 5 hours
brought them over to my gas grill sauced em created some char on the sauce
rest for 10 min cut and served with homemade coleslaw and white cheddar mac n chz
drinking double crooked tree and ale to the cheif

Read this yesterday and it has inspired me. bought the ribs today, and Saturday is smoked rib day!!!

msg isn't as superbad as most have been bred to think. especially when you're simply adding a small amount to an entire batch of rub that'll prolly last a while.

For those who are affected by it yes, it is that bad and 4 teaspoons is quite a bit. Also, MSG does nothing for the flavor profile. It is basically steroids for your taste buds.

Nothing wrong with MSG and it has been proven that the so called effects on people is just a placebo or a reaction to the actual food being eaten. It is VERY closely related to salt.

nice looking ribs ed.

leghorn glad to inspire you, let us see em when your done smokin sat

as for the msg, I made a 1/4 batch (more than is needed for three slabs) of the BRITU rub and it is only one teaspoon
Best Ribs In The Universe Rub - 1/4 Batch
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup non-iodized table salt
1/8 cup brown sugar, dried
4 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder

I did mine this evening. Hmmmm Good. I love ribs.

BabyBackRibs.jpg

Ed, throw some cherry lambic bbq sauce on those and you've got some good lookin eats :mug:

I also vote NO for the msg, just a personal thing. I have been doing competition bbq for 4 years, and never needed any msg to win.

Here was dinner tonight. I used a Memphis style rub I put together instead of the thread rub.

IMG_3150.JPG

I have a gas grill, so to smoke, I use a cast iron smoke box; this time loaded 1/2 with hickory and 1/2 with mesquite

IMG_3151.JPG

And here was the beverage to accompany the meal.

IMG_3154.JPG

I also brewed this morning, so this was a memorable day overall. :)

sorry to resurrect an old thread and hijack it and and and. but...

i saw this recipe was a favourate of the people on here so used it for my first ever batch of smoked ribs. they came out amazingly tender but i think i had like 10 times too much rub on them. i made a full batch of rub and used about half of it on two enormous slabs of ribs - now i see in this thread that i probably used twice what i should have used - how much rub would i need for two slabs, total weight about 5.5-6 lbs?

i'm away this weekend but next weekend i'm getting right back on it with batch #2!

Enough to cover. That is all you ever need. Not really a preset amount. When I do my rub, I just make sure that I get it into all of the nooks and crannies, because when you bite into that unflavored piece it is shockingly unflavored. You might want to back off of some of the flavors in the rub if it is too powerful for you.

Just read a recipe for rub for 2 racks, it's about 2-1/2 to 3 cups worth. Like Matt said, enough to cover---whatever's left you can store and reuse, so don't sweat it.

I'm smoking a rack of babybacks right now. Gonna add in some BBQ sausage and some homemade rolls. :rockin:

I smoked 8lbs of beef ribs yesterday after marinating in a mango/pineapple/chili sauce. Finished with a homemade KC sauce, fresh out of the oven bread and corn on the cob with chipotle/honey butter

Thanks guys. Did a second batch on memorial day weekend and they were much better. Loved the flavors, but there was too much rub on the first batch. Second time around I just covered them up and it worked out really well.

Also threw in some italian sausage , which came out amazing, and some potatoes, that I left in too long and they went a bit hard - lesson learned there

I smoked 8lbs of beef ribs yesterday after marinating in a mango/pineapple/chili sauce. Finished with a homemade KC sauce, fresh out of the oven bread and corn on the cob with chipotle/honey butter

Would you mind sharing the recipes for the mango/pineapple/chili sauce and chipotle/honey butter. Both of those sound fantastic!!

I need to try ribs again, with a thermometer and less rub this time.

And I shouldn't have come to this forum when I can't eat for a whole day due to an upcoming doctor's test tomorrow. I gotta tell you, the water is just not tasting good right now.

I am smokin a slab of ribs for myself today. between 225-250-degF ~4 hrs

I am using a rib rub that is heavy in the brown suga, cayenne and red hot pepper flakes. Some garlic and onion powder and a touch of salt.

Started the fire just before 10am, ribs on at 1030, hoping to eat round 3 or 4 will post pis of cooked ribs before I eat em.

dscn2317.jpg

dscn2318.jpg

dscn2319q.jpg

I did some 2 weeks ago guess they were good we had a party for 30 people 4 racks gone in about 20 minutes Also had Ribeye ,Clams , lobster and all kinds of sides

dont ever try taking his rib...

sparerib.JPG

Question for you smokers. I'm getting a side firebox for my Chargriller for x-mas and Saturday I'm doing a couple slabs of spare ribs. I've done many slabs on it already and have my routine down pretty good. I use indirect heat and a few chunks of hard wood for some smoke. My questions is with a side fire box do you use only hard wood or a mixture of hard wood and charcoal?

I'll be sure to post some pics after the smoke.

Question for you smokers. I'm getting a side firebox for my Chargriller for x-mas and Saturday I'm doing a couple slabs of spare ribs. I've done many slabs on it already and have my routine down pretty good. I use indirect heat and a few chunks of hard wood for some smoke. My questions is with a side fire box do you use only hard wood or a mixture of hard wood and charcoal?

I'll be sure to post some pics after the smoke.

It's entirely up to you. All hardwood, all charcoal, of a combination. I usually use charcoal to heat up the smoker then hardwood, then finish with charcoal. After 2-3 hours, the meat doesn't really absorb any more smoke.

I use lump hardwood charcoal to keep the fire going and add chunks (mainy oak for me) as needed.

Like arturo7 says... on long smokes, you only need to wrry about wood for a few hours anyhow (which is why I cheat and finish my butts in the oven for the last 6 hours of the cook and get to sleep in my bed!)

I use lump hardwood charcoal to keep the fire going and add chunks (mainy oak for me) as needed.

Like arturo7 says... on long smokes, you only need to wrry about wood for a few hours anyhow (which is why I cheat and finish my butts in the oven for the last 6 hours of the cook and get to sleep in my bed!)

hmm... I think I may have to borrow that idea, thanks :mug:

Wow...thanks for the quick replies guys! Looks like I can do whatever I want so I'll probably do the charcoal, then hardwood, then charcoal method as described above. Then tweak times and amounts as I get more experience with it.

Back