Smoked Trout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_PA

Reaction score
Smoked Trout

trout03302008.jpg

(Sorry there are no pics with the initial post, I will update with pics from my next smoking)

Brine solution:
  • 1 gallon of water
  • 2 cups salt
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 10-15 cloves
  • 2 teaspoons white pepper
Procedure for brining:
1)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Add all ingredients into a large bowl or dish
2)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Thoroughly mix into solution
3)[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Add cleaned trout to solution and allow to soak at room temp for an hour

After brining is complete, remove the fish from the solution and place on a rack to air dry. Allow to air dry for an hour in a cool area, during this time you will notice pellicle forming on the fish. This is a cloudy slime-like layer on the fish. This is a good thing.
After an hour of air drying, add the fish to the smoker. The smoker should be around 190 degrees, I like to smoke most meats with alder, but the wood is up to you. I would avoid the harsher woods for smoking fish.

I smoked 6 fish that had a cleaned weight of ~ 1.5 pounds. I let them smoke for 1 hour 45 minutes. I should have let it go for an additional 30-45 minutes, but they were darn tasty.

I use a charcoal water smoker, and consistently turn out some damn good smoked meats.

Things I would consider in the future:
Increase the smoking time
Experiment with other spices like Old Bay or Cumin

Sounds excellent... I will definitely be smoking some of the catch I have frozen from this past weekend or a fresh catch from this coming weekend... :)

Courtesy of loopmd in the fishing thread - smoked trout burgers:

loopmd said:
I smoke all of my trout and then pick the meat off the bones. Freeze the meat in ziplocs and take a package camping in the summer. Take the package out, thaw the meat throw in some onions, and egg or 2 and some cracker crumbs. Mix everything with your paws and patty up burger size. Throw them bad boys in a cast iron skillet with some butter and fry them up.

Back