Smoked Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimshear

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a smoked scotch ale. I've smoked lots of food, but never tried it with grains for brewing. My idea is to use the wood from a Bourbon barrel that was also used to age a coffee stout to fire the smoker. Any tips on the smoking process or recipe ideas would be greatly appreciated.

A simple search turns up one of the more popular threads with regards to smoking your own.

Regarding the recipe, a number of style-whores might argue with you that a scotch ale shouldn't exhibit any smoked flavors. If you're not concerned about the letter of the law of styles, i say "go for it". It's just the age old "style vs. preference" argument.

I think that the "smoked Wee Heavy" deserves its own category. I really like a prominent smoke note in my Wee Heavy. BJCP be damned!
(Smoke Heavy?)

Regarding the recipe, a number of style-whores might argue with you that a scotch ale shouldn't exhibit any smoked flavors.

Actually, I think the style whores will argue that there shouldn't be any addition of smoked malts and the smoked profile of some Scottish ales will come from the water source and yeast. Wyeast 1728 for example exhibits some subtle smoked profile when fermentation is closer to 60 degrees.

That being said, I have never been one to restrict my or others' brewing based on today's style guidelines. If you like smoked ales, go for it.

I just got sheets back on a wee heavy that I submitted to a comp. Every judge asked for more smoke. (I think I had some smoked malt in there, but not much, maybe half or a full pound).

Do you guys go for something like the Weyermann in Scotch Ales or add Alder, Cherry, or Peat?

I have some peat and honey malts I have been thinking about throwing together (in extremely limited quantity for the peat)...

Actually, I think the style whores will argue that there shouldn't be any addition of smoked malts and the smoked profile of some Scottish ales will come from the water source and yeast. Wyeast 1728 for example exhibits some subtle smoked profile when fermentation is closer to 60 degrees.

That being said, I have never been one to restrict my or others' brewing based on today's style guidelines. If you like smoked ales, go for it.

The accuracy whores will point out that there is really no such thing as scottish ale.

I like Jamil's note in BCS about how the judges comment on the smoked character of his scottish ale, made with WLP001. Haha.

I get tons of comments about all the decoctions I supposedly do.

The accuracy whores will point out that there is really no such thing as scottish ale.

I like Jamil's note in BCS about how the judges comment on the smoked character of his scottish ale, made with WLP001. Haha.

I get tons of comments about all the decoctions I supposedly do.

And just last week I got a scoresheet that I definitely submitted a Rye into the wrong category (American Wheat) because they were certain I had Rye... nope, just a bunch of Saaz, jackass!

Grains of salt sometimes needed by the shovelful.

If you use peat don't be scared. However if you don't like the way it tastes then be wary. I used a pound in a 9.5% brew and will be adding a bit more next time I make it.

I'm with you. I've made 3 rauchbiers, each time "playing it safe" with 30 or 40 or 50% smoked malt. Next one is 100%. I've never been satisfied with the level of smokiness.

Latest posts

Back