Smoked malt made others also smokey—toss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOriginalDBS

Reaction score
Hey folks, as the title implies, I stored 1 pound of smoked malt in a sealed bag (not vacuum sealed, just sealed) in a bin with some other specialty malts, honey malt included. The honey malt was in a plastic bag with a twist tie. I just noticed today that the honey malt also smells smokey. It’s not smokey to the taste but ever so slightly smokey to the smell. If I put the bag of honey malt in a closet (out of the light) and let it “air out” (bag closed with the twist tie) then would the smoke smell dissipate? Or do I have permanently gently smoked honey malt on my hands?

Fair question. I tested that hypothesis yesterday. Picked up a few grains, walked to the other end of the room, gave em a whiff. Still a scintilla of smoke.

I would air it out as best you can. Not really anything else you can do.

Unless you brew heavily with specialty malts whatever whiff of smoke is probably not going to come through at all.

It would surely be worth a try to "air out" the affected grains.
I'd set aside a small amount as a benchmark for comparison and air out the rest.
Give it a week, compare the saved vs aired, and see if it's actually moving along in the right direction...

Cheers!

Hey folks, as the title implies, I stored 1 pound of smoked malt in a sealed bag (not vacuum sealed, just sealed) in a bin with some other specialty malts, honey malt included. The honey malt was in a plastic bag with a twist tie. I just noticed today that the honey malt also smells smokey. It’s not smokey to the taste but ever so slightly smokey to the smell. If I put the bag of honey malt in a closet (out of the light) and let it “air out” (bag closed with the twist tie) then would the smoke smell dissipate? Or do I have permanently gently smoked honey malt on my hands?
Why don't you just brew with it? Make a stout or smoked porter and put all the smokey grains in there. I'd hit it.

Last edited:
If you brew something with the other grains there are many styles that would benefit from a hint of smoke.

It's a happy accident.

1000001444.jpg

Sierra Nevada had a brown ale called Tumbler (don't know if they brew it anymore). I attempted to clone it a couple of times, but couldn't nail this earthiness it had. Then I added a pound of smoked malt. bingo.
I loved me some Tumbler, it was my go-to autumn beer to stock up on. I don't think they make it anymore--haven't seen it in years.

Got a clone recipe?

I loved me some Tumbler, it was my go-to autumn beer to stock up on. I don't think they make it anymore--haven't seen it in years.

Got a clone recipe?
Clone? You be the judge. This is a 10 gallon recipe. For some reason, I did not have the yeast listed in there. I'd go with S-04 or similar.
1685830511577.png

1685830735882.png

Back