Munich Helles Smoked Helles (Silver Medal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anteater8

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Imperial Harvest
Yeast Starter
2.5L two days before brew, decanted and into a 0.5L start on brew day
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 50 up to 65
This is one of my absolute favorite styles, and since its somewhat hard to find commercially, so its the perfect style to homebrew. I've brewed this twice now with zero changes made the second time, and recently got a silver medal in the smoked category of a local competition. This recipe really hits what I'm looking - a light, crushable, refreshing, flavorful, smoky lager. The smoke is reminiscent of bacon, very present, but not overwhelming.

6.75 lb (66%) Weyermann Beechwood Smoked malt
3.0 lb (29%) Barke Pils
0.5 lb (5%) Cara-pils

Note on smoked malt: I've used 61% to 66% depending on how much flavor and aroma the malt itself had at the store. The 66% was used with malt that was sitting in a bin and had a medium-light flavor and aroma. Even with very freshly smoked malt, I'd go at least 50%.

0.75 oz Tettang 60 min (11 IBU)
1.0 oz Tettang 30 min (11 IBU)
0.25 oz Tettang 0 min

Single infusion mash at 152 degrees
Mash pH = 5.5

Ca: 35
Mg: 1
Na: 1
Sulfate: 37
Cl: 35
Bicarb: 12

Imperial Harvest (2.5L starter 2 days before brewing, decant the night before, remake a 0.5L starter a few hours before pitching and pitch active)

O.G. = 1.045
F.G. = 1.007
ABV = 4.9%

Fermentation schedule:
5 days at 50 degrees
5 days at 55 degrees
2 days at 60 degrees
2 days at 65 degrees
Cold crash, keg, lager for at least a few weeks

1668378046059.png

This looks delicious. I've never had a smoked helles, so how would you describe the intensity of the smoke flavor? I brewed a disastrously bad smoked porter and haven't touched smoked malt since. I would personally shy away from um liquid campfire...

Also, when you cold crashed did you walk it down or just set the temperature controller and let it fall as quickly as your system could cool it? I ask because I'm debating whether to cold crash quickly or walk it down ~2F/day for a helles.

This looks delicious. I've never had a smoked helles, so how would you describe the intensity of the smoke flavor? I brewed a disastrously bad smoked porter and haven't touched smoked malt since. I would personally shy away from um liquid campfire...

Also, when you cold crashed did you walk it down or just set the temperature controller and let it fall as quickly as your system could cool it? I ask because I'm debating whether to cold crash quickly or walk it down ~2F/day for a helles.

Tough to describe the intensity... The smoke is very upfront, but it doesn't completely overwhelm the malt and hops and the beer is still refreshing and even crushable. On a scale from 1 (no smoke) to 10 (straight up campfire), I'd say its a 5 or a 6.

For the cold crash I went as quickly as my fridge would get it into the 30's. Other lager brewers might have more precise methods.

Back