Smashing Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RStolz

Reaction score
Hey All

Looking for a little input here if I can. This will be my first attempt at a partial mash. I'm going to brew the Northern Brewer Smashing Pumpkin Ale tomorrow.

I'm going to add additional 6-row, 2 cans of pumpkin (roasted in the oven for 30 min to caramelize) and I want to do a 6.5 gal boil in my 8 gal pot to get down to 5.5 gal in the 6.5 gal carboy. Here is what I've got so far.

Recipe Type: Smashing Pumkin Ale
Yeast: Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Yeast Starter: 1.5L started August 7, cold crash today
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Est Original Gravity: 1.066
Est Final Gravity: 1.016
Est Alcohol by Vol: 6.7 %
IBU: 23
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 11.7
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 65F

Mash Schedule:
1. Add 2 lbs 6 Row, 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt-40 L, 1 oz canned pumpkin in strainer bag to 6 Gal water- steep for 60 min. @ 152
2. Strain grains and rinse with 2 qt water @ 170
3. Start boil

Ingredients:

Grains/ Extracts
2 lbs- Pale Malt (6 Row)
8.0 oz- Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L
1 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
6 lbs 4.8 oz of Amber Liquid Extract (3 lbs 2.4oz @ 60 min., 3 lbs 2.4oz @ 15 min.)

Hops
1.00 oz Cluster [7.00 %] (60 min) Pellets 20.6 IBU

Misc.
2 Cans of Pumpkin
.25 tsp-Irish Moss (10 min)
2 tsp of Pumpkin Spice

Yeast
Wyeast 1056 American Ale

I decided to up the pumpkin spice by 1 tsp based off of reviews of this kit that I've seen. I've also been thinking maybe 1 more can of pumpkin.

Anyone have thoughts, suggestions, comments? I would really appreciate it!

Frankly it looks good to me unless you want some crust-like character in which case I would add some Victory malt, maybe .5lbs to 1lb. I think the pumpkin roasting will take more than 30 minutes (or at least it should); 400 degrees and make sure you turn/stir it and if you burn the edges just make sure to get rid of the burnt parts.

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback. I was going to probably leave it longer than 30 min. and stir it. How long do you suggest?

Back