SMASHing Opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywatchthis

Reaction score
Looking to do a hopbursting SMASH:

10 lbs Golden Promise

1 oz Citra at 20,10,5
2 oz Citra at 1
3 oz Citra at KO
2 oz Citra DH 7-10 days after fermentation is complete

US05 yeast.

Any thoughts...my first SMASH with GP.

I'd drink it. Citra is a great hop. I'd suggest mashing on the hot side 154-156 since you have no crystal malt and US-05 has a tendency to over-attenuate.

i am enjoying a Amarillo/Golden Promise SMaSH APA I did a few months back

i think GP provides a nice backbone for the hops - so simple but so tasty

i used some washed wlp007 and mashed around 150ish and it went WAY down to 1.006ish

i enjoy dry beers but you may want to mash higher as suggested above if you want more body

I did GP/Chinook/WLP002 a few months back. 10lb @154ºF, 1oz @30 and 1oz @5. It was really well brewed if I do say so myself, but Chinook wasn't a great match, though Citra might.

8oz of hops in the boil could be a little on the impractical side.

I did GP/Chinook/WLP002 a few months back. 10lb @154ºF, 1oz @30 and 1oz @5. It was really well brewed if I do say so myself, but Chinook wasn't a great match, though Citra might.

8oz of hops in the boil could be a little on the impractical side

I use 12-16oz in my IPAs...8 oz is nothing.

How do you whirlpool/siphon off the trub?

Stir it for 2-3 minutes and let it sit for another 5 or so. Most of it will settle and then I siphon through a double layer strainer...that will get almost all of the hop matter out. What's left doesn't hurt anything.

Back