Smash that Mandarina Bavaria (SMASH BEER)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacktardBrewmeister

The Mad Zymurgist
Reaction score
This is the first SMASH beer I am doing on Tuesday, I am attempting SMASH beers with a schmorgasboard of hops I have laying around. This goal is to try and do better taste profiling, for me, on some of these hops as I also have experimental hops and hops less ventured (like Belma, Idaho 7, Zeus, Golena). Let me know what you guys think of the recipe since I got 10 lbs of Mandarina Baveria (might be 15 actually) sitting around my place. Though I wonder if I should go for a higher ABV by getting more grain, or just keeping it simple.

Batch Size: 5 gallons
Est. OG: 052
Est. FG: 1.013
ABV: 5.1%
Est. IBU: 30.75
Mash: 60 Minutes
Boil: 60 Minutes

10 lb Maris Otter
1 oz Mandarina Bavaria (1oz at 60 minutes for boil)
3.5 oz Mandarina Bavaria (for 4-7 day dry hop)
1 whirfloc tablet
1 pkg Safale S-04

Bring water in kettle to 165, add grain, then set to 152-154. Drain grain then cold sparge, then bring kettle to boil. Toss in 1oz hops at 60 minutes left, Cool and add to carboy. Pitch yeast and store. Dry hop with 3.5oz of hops 1 week before kegging.

ADD: Just realized I put this in the wrong area of the forum like a fool!

Last edited:
I've brewed IPAs and DIPAs with Mandarina, it's a fine hop and one of my favorites but I prefer it with a modest proportion of El Dorado to boost the citrus impression.

If you're just trying to isolate the Mando to understand its profile that's fine, it'll be a good beer. If you're kegging this, you might consider a keg hop as well to really crank up the aromas.

Last edited:
I have been working on a similar recipe. Not a smash, but based on the Sierra Nevada pale ale recipe and hop schedule hopped with Mandarina.

My house Pale is loosely based on that, with Magnum for bittering and Cascade for aroma hop. I've complemented the grapefruit notes with Mandarina before and it really works!

I've brewed IPAs and DIPAs with Mandarina, it's a fine hop and one of my favorites but I prefer it with a modest proportion of El Dorado to boost the citrus impression.

If you're just trying to isolate the Mando to understand its profile that's fine, it'll be a good beer. If you're kegging this, you might consider a keg hop as well to really crank up the aromas.

Yeah, I really just want to isolate this hop, knock it up a bit more then I would in general use, and try to fully take on it's flavor to get a better understanding of it's flavor profile.

I've read that Mandarina Bavaria is a great hop to use for an orange dreamsicle milkshake IPA. I'm curious to get your impressions after brewing this SMaSH beer.

Your idea of a single hop beer is different than mine...especially with a lower impact hop such as Mandarina. I have a Hüll Melon single hop soon to be tapped and it was: 1 oz Magnum @60, 1 oz Hüll @5, 3 oz @WP (20 min @ 170), and 4 oz @ dry hop.

And even after that the FG sample was subtle, and the hops smelled incredible in the bag. But, indeed you will still have a good beer with 4.5 oz total, but you may not appreciate the full impact and flavor with what amounts to a 3.5oz dry hop :cool:.

You might consider smaller batches than 5 gallons, as that's a fair amount to drink before you're next SMASH.

Also bottle a few. Couple of SMASH down the road you can do side by side comparisons.

Maybe even expand to SMASHY (yeast as the variable)

Regardless, SMASH is a good path to dialing in on what you like. For example, after a couple of comparisons, I've zero'd in on Tettnang as my noble hop of choice after about 5 hop comparisons. Your palate may vary.

Back