SMASH Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsdws

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My brewing buddy and I are going to do our first SMASH beers this weekend and are tossing around a few recipe ideas. We will use maris otter for malt on both brews.

First one I wanted to try MO/EKG with London ESB 1968 yeast. My LHBS guy suggests MO/Citra with West Yorkshire 1469. I love citra but am unsure how the 1469 yeast plays with that. Any opinions?

The other SMASH will be MO/Amarillo. I was thinking of American Ale 1056 for this one. It should be simple and work out well I think?

Your thoughts? Especially on the 1469 yeast and citra!

Your MO/EKG with either London or West Yorkshire yeast would give you a much more traditional 'English' flavor than using Citra.

The MO/Amarillo with American yeast should give you a nice American pale ale of some sort.

The Amarillo and Citra are much more similar than than the Amarillo and EKG, if you're looking for two distinctly different beers.

The MO/Citra with West Yorkshire 1469. Should be a nice beer. Since it is a mix of British and American ingredients it will not really fit in any one category.

YEAST STRAIN: 1469 | West Yorkshire Ale
This strain produces ales with a full chewy malt flavor and character, but finishes dry, producing famously balanced beers. Expect moderate nutty and stone-fruit esters. Best used for the production of cask-conditioned bitters, ESB and mild ales. Reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration.

Citra
Strong citrus and tropical tones of grapefruit, melon, lime, gooseberry, passion fruit and lychee

Nutty from the yeast and tropical fruit from the Citra seem a strange combination to me but worth exploring.

Back