Smallest Possible Chest Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I recently purchased a corny keg, and am trying to figure out the smallest possible chest freezer I can get in order to fit two corny kegs and a 5 pound CO2 canister. I am aware of the great thread on here with all the specs, but I was wondering if anyone had success using a 3.5 cubic foot chest freezer. If so, what did you use and did you have to add a collar?

Thanks for the link, but as far as I can tell all the info on 3.5 cubic foot freezers is missing. That's why I was wondering if anyone had successfully used one.
Something of an apples-to-oranges comparison, but my 4.4 cu ft minifridge (without freezer) holds two 5g cornys and a 5# CO2 bottle, plus lines and fittings, and just barely, without wasting much space at all. I can't imagine cutting 0.9 cu ft from it and fitting all three items. I do not know for certain that you cannot do it, but it would surprise me a little.

Sorry can't comment on the 3.3 cubic freezer, but I can comment on adding a collar and if you're doing taps out the front, then I think there is far too much drilling through the freezer wall to not have a collar. I feel like you're really risking hitting something and making a giant paperweight. Now if you're doing a tap tower on top, then obviously a collar really isn't needed.

I can comment on adding a collar and if you're doing taps out the front, then I think there is far too much drilling through the freezer wall to not have a collar. I feel like you're really risking hitting something and making a giant paperweight.

Good point that I hadn't thought of yet. Though right now, I'm just starting out with a picnic tap. I'm sure more projects to go to more fancy taps will be in my future at some point.

In other news, I'm pretty sure you'd need a serious collar on a 3.5 cubic foot freezer. I put my keg in my 5.0 cubic freezer (that I use as a fermentation chamber), and it probably has an inch of head space.

For my first batch, I'm going to just use my ferm chamber to keep my keg in while I look for a cheaper, used freezer that fits the bill.

I can tell you that the 3.5 chest freezer I have (which has the compressor step inside) will only fit one corny keg width-wise in the remaining area, along with the 5# CO2 tank. I was deeply disappointed when I tried to fit two cornies in there (I was using the freezer as a fermentation chamber prior to making it a keezer). I have a 6" collar on the top...and even with that...not wide enough for side-by-side cornies.

I am waiting on a buddie's used refrigerator, which I plan to use as a keezer. My current keezer will then revert back to a fermentation chamber...haha.

All that being said, I advise my buddies who brew to take the equipment, cornies, etc. with them when they buy fridges, freezers, and whatnot to check fittings before buying and then finding out the measurements don't pan out. I know it might seem odd to walk into HD or a box store with a corny keg...but hey...who cares?

Cheers!

I would advise that you look at something a little larger. I made my kegerator in a refrigerator that I already had. It holds 3 kegs and the co2. If I was starting new I would get a freezer that would hold at least 4 kegs.

Upright freezer here
$200 on Craigslist. Holds four cornies and a shelf for bottles.
Co2 on the outside. Drill through the front door without worry and no collar etc needed. Probably a similar footprint to a small freezer.
The taller uprights will hold 8 cornies, but I don't have that kind of time on my hands.

if you've got the cash, morebeer sells some of their stainless torpedo cornies that are slimmer than normal ones. cant recall how much, but it might be enough to squeeze into a tiny freezer.

Back