Small Batches on 240v System?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flubbss

Reaction score
Currently brewing on a Grounded Brewtech controller and kettle which is perfect for my brewing needs when making 5+ gallon batches. I am hoping to start brewing smaller batches (2-3 gallons) of higher ABV beers, but I think my current system is too big to accommodate that.

Hoping for some feedback on the following:
  • Is there any harm (either to the element or the beer) in brewing 3 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle?
  • Should I get a second, smaller pot and element combo to use when brewing these smaller batches? Most 240v elements I have seen are long so a smaller kettle may not be possible
    • I am assuming I cannot use a 120v element on my 240v controller. Is this a correct assumption?
  • Would be getting something like a Digiboil/Anvil Foundry make more sense over a new pot/element combination? I would ideally like to take advantage of the brewing controller and brewing pump I already have set up for my normal system.
What do you guys think? Which route would you go? I’m definitely open to other suggestions if there may be a better option!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You can damage both the element and the beer if the water/wort level is not high enough to cover the element completely whenever the element is on.

No, you cannot use a 120V element on 240V. Even if the higher voltage didn't damage it, it would operate at 4 times the power as at 120V, leading to excessively high watt density at the surface of the element.

It is possible to have a controller that will operate when plugged into either a 120V or 240V source, but this usually needs to be planned for during the design (unless you got lucky and are already dual voltage compatible.) Here's an example:

DSPR120 1-Pump 1-Aux Dual Voltage Input contactor.PNG

Brew on :mug:

Back