Small Batches and Headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerd Bro

Reaction score
Hi all!

I want to start experimenting with small batches, but I mostly have large carboye (more than enough)

I will eventually invest in some small carboys but is fermenting 2 or 3 gallon batches in 5/6 gallon carboys OK?

Can I still pitch a full dry packet of yeast or should I cut it in half?

I assume primary is fine but secondary would be where oxygenation and heads pace becomes a concern. So assuming I don't do a secondary, is a 2 gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy fine?

You can use a partial package. Store the half package in the fridge and make plans to use it over the couple of months. My personal experience is that closing it tightly with a rubber band is sufficient; others will vacuum seal the partial package.

I do 2.5-gallon batches in 5-gallon buckets fully half the time. Results are indistinguishable from the batches in the small buckets.

I usually use the full packet of yeast — what’s the harm in a little overpitch? Except for Munich Classic; then I weigh out a few grams.

I generally use half a packet dry yeast for a 3g batch, or a full liquid packet. If it’s a lager, I’ll use a full packet of dry, or two for a dopplebock.

I used to ferment 2.5g inside 6g big mouth bubblers regularly before I bought a 3g fermonster. My one word of wisdom would be to not dry hop anything with that amount of headspace. I did, and it wasn’t great. Everything else was fine though. Fwiw, I still ferment half batches in a 6g bmb, but my dry hopped batches are always in the fermonster

I will eventually invest in some small carboys but is fermenting 2 or 3 gallon batches in 5/6 gallon carboys OK?

I do 2 1/2 gallon batches in a 6 1/2 gallon bucket fermenter. Works fine.

Yes. Either works fine. I simply fold the top of the packet over and clip it closed. I've kept them that way for 6 months.

I assume primary is fine but secondary would be where oxygenation and heads pace becomes a concern. So assuming I don't do a secondary, is a 2 gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy fine?

Secondaries are only useful for oxidateing your beer and introducing bacteria for infections. Skip them.

I've brewed as little as one gallon in a 7.9 gallon bucket with no problem. I routinely brew 2-4 gallon batches in that bucket. Using smaller vessels is more convenient if you have them but not necessary unless you intend to age the beer for an extended period of time or if you brew something highly sensitive to oxidation (like sour beer).

Back