Small batch questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AidanSavage

Reaction score
Currently my second gallon batch is entering week 2 of fermenting, however, for my third batch, I've considered using a smaller container to ferment in. The logic behind it is that, currently, I have a 1 gallon carboy, and a 96 ounce glass jar/jug. This has some logistical issues when adding FAJC to sweeten a finished cider unless I split the FAJC into the bottles the final product would be in at the end. However, if I did the fermentation in the 96 oz container, I'd be able to sweeten it by using the 1gal carboy as a bottling container.

On the other hand, I could use a sanitized 1gal milk jug as a bottling container. Pretty sure I could get my parents to hang onto an empty one, and wouldnt cost anything. Which seems like what I'll end up doing now that I'm writing this. I'll still post it for opinions though.

Ale yeast is going to foam and blow off enough that I wouldn't bother with fermenting in the smaller vessel. regardless of yeast wine or ale personally I would add slightly more than the 96oz to the one gallon leaving some head space and let it do its thing without risking blow off. Then swap to the smaller vessel long enough to clean the larger vessel then mix the cider and FAJC in the larger sterilized vessel. condition or bottle as you see fit from there.

Planning ahead with your glassware is a never ending battle in brewing. I brew more odd ball things I never would have simply because a single piece of equipment is available for a certain duration before needing racking another into it. Start stocking up on those jugs and growlers whenever you come across them.

Sweetening should be done at the end, at bottling time. You don't need a glass jug for that - a sanitized stainless soup pot is what I use when mixing sweetener etc for bottling.

The problem that we small batch cider makers have is fermenting a gallon in primary then finding an appropriately sized jug for secondary. Typically I get about 3.5 quarts (112 oz) after racking off the lees, which leaves a big head space in the secondary bottle. If you start with 96 oz you'll have a huge head space when transferring to a gallon carboy.

I sometime do one gal. batches also. I start with over one gal. in 2 gal. bucket. In less than a week when fermentation slows I transfer to a one gal. glass jug.

You could also start with less than a gal. in a one gal. glass jug and when it slows top it off with more juice.

One of these days I'm going to make a batch specifically for secondary "top off", fermented dry and stored in a closet until needed. That is, if I can resist the temptation to drink it...

Back