Small batch in 15Gal Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moxie

Reaction score
Would it be harmful to ferment say a 7 Gal batch in a 15Gal Primary fermenter? The way I see it, the amount of surface area exposed to oxygen is the same, no matter how full the fermenter is, but would the amount of head space in a half filled keg be harmful to the fermentation process, or produce undesirable results? Trying to decide if I want to build a fermenter out of a 1/2 barrel keg, or use multiple corny fermenters.

Do it, don't worry! So much CO2 is produced during primary that what O2 the yeast doesn't use is pushed out the airlock/blow-off/spunding valve. I wouldn't hesitate. Now, after fermentation I would keep it under a nice CO2 blanket.

It's a common practice in wine and mead primary fermentation to use small amounts in a larger fermenter so there is room for aeration and foam. You should have no problem with beer.

You'll be fine, as others have stated. If/when you rack to secondary, try to fill it up to the neck of the carboy.

Back