Small batch finished primary in 2 days.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivypunx

Reaction score
I had a 1 gallon batch of honey ale with british ale yeast finish in 2 days. I say visible sign of fermentation one hour after pitching, and in two days it finished. Is this unusual?

Not unusual at all.. but don't mistake the lack of bubbles, and reaching your FG, to mean it's done.

Next begins a process in which the yeast, having consumed all the sugar it can, begins eating the various byproducts it created the first time along... like at a party. The sandwiches go first, and the chips, and if the party's going an hour later people start eating the crusts of their sandwiches and shaking out the potato chip crumbs directly into their mouths.

This clarifies your beer and removes off flavors, and it's pretty essential that you leave your beer alone for a couple more weeks at least. Particularly if your temps got crazy... with such a vigorous fermentation you might have more off flavors to worry about than normal. Prost! :tank:

Oddly enough, the bitter I brewed on Sunday seems to have blown straight through its fermentables in about 30 hours. Krausen barely lasted 20. I bet if I checked the gravity it'd be around 1.009... but I'm just gonna leave it alone.

Back