small barrel project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanneltrees804

Reaction score
I am embarking on a small barrel project and want some input. I am in process with a few full size barrels with some other brewers but wanted to do something on a smaller scale not only so I could do it by myself but also so I wouldn't have to age the beer as long in the barrel. I want your input to decide what all I should put in the barrel.

I want to rotate different beer styles through the barrel just for the heck of it and know that I am starting off with a peat-smoked barleywineish thing. It's pretty smoky, dark purple in color, about 12% and has a ton of character to it. I was thinking I would put a beglian dubbel in the barrel next to see how much smoke it would pick from the previous beer.

What do you think? Belgian dubbel or something else? Add wine to the barrel for a while? What beer should be 3rd, 4th and so on? Let me know!

Back