Sluggish Wyeast 1968

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewed a British ale the other day. Re-pitched the Wyeast 1968 from a recent brew. I realize the recommended temp, by Wyeast Labs, is 64 - 72F, I find the 1968 is very sluggish. Calmly fermenting and occasionally causing the airlock to bubble.

Even when I brewed a month ago and used the 1968 stepped up with a starter (as the smack pack was new), I had the same results. Brew turned out excellent.

Just an observation. Have others had the same experience with Wyeast 1968?

I've never used it but, how slow is sluggish? Bubbles in the airlock? That only means it does not produce a ton of co2. I never know how fast a yeast is because I put the fermenter in the chamber, check the next day to see if it has started. Once in a while I have to wait until later in the day... Then I close the chamber for 2 weeks... Once a beer with Windsor yeast was not done at 2 weeks, all the rest of my 107 batches were.

1968 is my house yeast. Usually see airlock activity in 12hrs or so. I make a starter and have had nothing but good results with 1968. Gets crystal clear too

Back