slow to reach FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfuttner

Reaction score
Recently brewed an extract robust porter. Drank a few too many homebrews, added too much LME and overshot my OG by about 5 points. So I started at 1.082. Pitched a 2 liter starter (wyeast - Denny's fav. 50) and had good vigorous fermentation for about 3 days. It slowed down and after 7 days my gravity was at 1.030. At 10 days I'm at 1.027. I'm planning on eventually racking to my secondary with some vanilla bean and coffee. Should I wait it out until I reach my target (~1.017) or get it into the secondary at 2 weeks as planned and add the extras. Will I reach my target in the secondary with the remaining suspended yeasties?

don't take it off of the yeast if it's slow going, i wouldn't use a secondary at all and certainly not before reaching FG.

I have a stout going right now using Denny's Fav 50 and it fermented out pretty quick. Though it stopped out at 1.020. Give it some more time if you want but it might not get too much dryer. That's kind of the idea behind this strain of yeast.

I had a fermentation stuck recently in secondary (about 1 week+) and I added 1/2tsp of amylase enzyme to my secondary per some of the posts on here. Fermentation picked up within a day and finished off to my FG within 7-10 days. Worth checking out some of the posts on HBT regarding amylase and stuck fermentations if it plateaus off.

I had a fermentation stuck recently in secondary (about 1 week+) and I added 1/2tsp of amylase enzyme to my secondary per some of the posts on here. Fermentation picked up within a day and finished off to my FG within 7-10 days. Worth checking out some of the posts on HBT regarding amylase and stuck fermentations if it plateaus off.

i would be impressed if it stopped at the FG and didn't keep going, those enzymes don't usually want to stop on their own.

i would be impressed if it stopped at the FG and didn't keep going, those enzymes don't usually want to stop on their own.

I was worried about that too, honestly. I read about adding as much as 1-1/2tsp of it but I decided to add only 1/2tsp to a 5 gallon batch and it seemed to work out for mine. FG held just a point or two shy of what I wanted. Maybe even add only 1/8-1/4tsp just to be on the safe side.

Back