Slow growing hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oFobrewing

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I've planted 3 english varieties in pots this year (new plants fron rhizomes), my concern is that they are really slow to grow, one of them (Progress) is probably 50cm (+ - 2 feet) of the ground, it seems very sluggish. There are 2 bines but now it started to sprout from the base of the bine, don't know if this is correct or not.

The other 2 Phoenix and Zenith are stuck at a very small size.

I live in Spain, sun light is not an issue, they are growing in pots (about 200 l in size)

Any thoughts. ....

Thanks

20140603_160125.jpg

I had one do the same thing, they sometimes stop growing to expand their root system. First year growth can be a little unpredictable.

Try some turd water/compost tea. It works great, especially if you can get some chicken manure to make it from. Put a shovel full in a 5 gallon/19L bucket and fill with water, mix and water the plants. They will grow like mad! :)

Try giving them a shot of fertilizer. Mine were getting kind of sluggish too and after fertilizing them they took off like crazy!

What type of Fertilizer should I use?

Miracle grow would work to see if that is what they need. I have read that prolonged miracle grow use is not good for hops because of the salts but I don't know for sure.

I bet they are lacking nitrogen so you could use some blood meal if you want to use organic fertilizer.

I use Fox Farm Grow Big during vegetative growth and Fox Farm Tiger Bloom when they first start flowering. Fox Farm is kind of expensive but I like that it is water soluble and organic.

Back