Slow flow out of keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantola

Reaction score
I'm having a slow flow of a coffee stout that I brewed out of my kegerator. I have 2 other kegs, one filled with cider and the other filled with cerveza. Beer flows just fine out of them, but out of the stout keg, it flows just short of a trickle. Turning the pressure up to 25 psi makes no change. I've taken the long tube out of the keg and there's no blockage.

Could it be that because the beer is so thick that I should switch to a larger inner diameter output hose?

I've taken the long tube out of the keg and there's no blockage.

Could it be that because the beer is so thick that I should switch to a larger inner diameter output hose?

Is the poppet in the liquid keg post clean and free of obstructions? Your stout shouldn’t be “thicker” than any other beverage that you serve in a keg.

Tobor, I've verified that the black post is connected to the tap. That's how I remember, BB, Beer Black.

Camonick, I checked the poppet when I removed the tube. But this was an extract kit, and there was some maltodextrin that went into the boil, so it's a little thicker than the cider and cerveza.

I had the exact same problem recently with my pumpkin ale. The flow slowed to nearly nothing. Swapped to the cider tap that was flowing smoothly and was rewarded with 2 taps that refused to flow anything from either keg. Turns out the pumpkin ale had a slug of spice sediment at the bottom of the keg. ( here's why https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/i-screwed-up.669088/) I disconnected the taps and the gas from both kegs, then drained pressure on the tap line by opening the tap. Removed the tap and swamped out the sediment that had caught at the flow control ball. Reinstalled the FC tap on the cider tap, installed a non flow control tap on the pumpkin ale (because I had it). Problem solved. Take the tap off the shank and verify there is not sediment there.

Question for the community: I swapped for a non flow control tap because I had an extra on hand. If not, could I have removed the flow control plug and run as a non flow control tap for for that keg?

Last edited:
Back