Slow fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnation

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA 2.5 weeks ago. OG 1.075 and it's only fermented down to 1.020. It's st fermenting and the air lock is bubbling every 8-10 seconds. Why would this fermentation be so slow? Same recipe usually gets down to 1.010 in a few days. Mashed at 150. Yeast is London ale 3. This is second generation yeast washed from last time I brewed. Is the yeast just weak? I didn't do a starter because it was about 2-3 times the amount of yeast that comes in a package. Should I pitch more yeast? It's been fermenting at about 68 degrees

First of all, how do you know that it is still fermenting? Are you checking the SG? Just because the airlock is bubbling does not mean that it is fermenting.

Like you said, it could be done (if the SG is not dropping). It could be the yeast, it could be beacuase you didnt do a starter. It could be other factors.

You could try to raise the temperature a few degrees and see if that helps. If you pitch more yeast, you should do a started and pitch at high krausen, when it is the most active.

I have only checked the sg this one time but I have never seen an airlock that active once fermentation is done. What ever the reason I need to get it close to 1.010. 2.5 weeks is to long when it usually gets to that in a few days. I have brewed this recipe many times and all conditions are the same. I'm thinkin it has to be the yeast. I was thinking about pitching some 04 on it since I would have to order London ale 3 online and wait for it

Did you ever check final gravity? Did you add more yeast? If it was as much yeast as you're claiming and nothing else was changed it would be shocking to know the yeast was acting so different from a second fermentation.

I checked the gravity 2 days ago and it was down to 1.012. I didn't add more yeast just let it go for another week. The yeast was an 1" deep in a Mason jar. I'm thinking a good percentage of the yeast was unhealthy or dead. Either way it's done finally 3.5 weeks later and it smells and tastes great. Gonna keg it friday

Back