Slow Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randzor

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a batch of 6 gallons of around 10% ABV(I tend to focus on the ABV not the actual OG.) Fermenting right now.

Its been fermenting for about 4 weeks and still going strong. I've been fermenting anywhere between 50-60 degrees, Champagne yeast.

Anyone have experience with long fermentation, and is there anything that I should be concerned about?

As long as the gravity keeps dropping your usually good.

Depending on which strain of champagne yeast your using the temp might be a little low and that could be causing the slow ferment. Trying keeping at 60 degrees and above if possible. 50 is a little low.

Its one of those situations where its either under the stairs at whatever temp that drops to, or in the rooms where we keep it in the 70's. It is a raspberry flavored cider, so I wanted the slow fermentation to try and preserve some of the flavor, and to make it drinkable faster. I guess We'll see how it works out. I live in MN so its either use the heated part of the house and its to hot, or use the storage and its to cold:)

I completely understand. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. HaHa

I use a little energy efficient radiator heater (the kind with the oil inside that is warmed for steady output) in my basement brew room and it helps keep a steady ambient temp. I hate the fact that there's an electrical appliance running all the time, but at least there's no exposed heating element. I run it through active fermentation and then just turn it off for aging/clearing temps.

my cider (OG 1.065) took more than 5 weeks to ferment. ambient of 63. slow and steady. i don't use nutrients

Latest posts

Back