Slow ferment. I've never seen it go so slow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnGoatJoe

Reaction score
I pressed some apples and heat pasteurized the juice. A couple of weeks later, I added sugar and honey to up the SG to 1.075. I then added Mangrove Jacks M02 yeast. The batch previous to this was slow, but 8 days into this ferment, I'm only down to SG 1.042. The airlock is still burping every 8 seconds (which is slower than a few days ago), so I know the yeast aren't done. The room temp is between 65 and 69 F, which I guess is on the low end of the recommended range.

I don't really have any questions. I guess I'm just looking for affirmation that everything will be fine. But if you think I've got a problem, please let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8509.jpeg
    IMG_8509.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 6
Add some yeast nutrient. Apple Juice doesn't have much of what's needed to feed the yeast. If you do add the nutrient, you'll probably see ferm take off.

With the assumption that the sugar is mixed up pretty well in the juice, and based on the photo I'd say your yeast are between sleepy time, dozing off and taking a nap. If you're able to do so, I think upping the temp might rouse them up a bit and get them back to work.

With the assumption that the sugar is mixed up pretty well in the juice, and based on the photo I'd say your yeast are between sleepy time, dozing off and taking a nap. If you're able to do so, I think upping the temp might rouse them up a bit and get them back to work.
Unfortunately, I need to go out of town for a few days. I'll look at upping the temp when I get back. Thanks!

It's fermenting so what's the problem? If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Yeah, this is kinda how I feel about it. It's just weird when you use apples from the same trees year to year, and then this year they are super slow to ferment. What I need to do it buy a Tilt Hydrometer so I don't have to open it up to check the SG (I like to pasteurize before the ferment is done to save sweetness).

Anyway, it's still moping along, so I'll just leave it be for now.

Back