Sloe wine mess up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andympgs

Reaction score
I thought I'd dabble at sloe wine.
I froze the washed berries for a week then defrosted them over night then put them into a bucket and mashed them.
Added boiling water and 3 bags of sugar. Let it dissolve then added cold water and stirred.
Let it cool and added yeast nutrient and yeast.
Left in bucket with lid on for about 5 days in airing cupboard.
Strained through muslin into another bucket added more sugar that had been sissolved in hot water then added more yeast.
I think I should have left putting anything more into it. Now after about 4 days I see yeast on top of the liquid. And it just don't look right.
It has an airlock on and has never had bubbles coming out since I racked it.
Is this now knackered or can it be recovered or is it OK. Was going to leave it until bubbles stopped but with no bubbles I have no idea what's happening with it.
Anyone got any ideas please.

Thanks. I done 14 litres
Which was coincidence. So what sg would be safe to bottle the wine

I'd wait at least till the wine is clear enough to read a newspaper through AND has an SG of right about 1.000, check the SG 3 times, a few days apart to make certain it's done, when you get the same reading all 3 times, it should be done. Wine can go down below that, 0.998 is fairly common. you might want to bulk age before bottling though. I bulk age mostly because it's easy, but you can just bottle & age if you like. If you don't bulk age, you might want to degas the wine before bottling. This is to release the CO2 that is in suspension; bulk aging allows this to happen naturally over time without having to do anything.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back