Fruit Beer Slim's Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SD-SLIM

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP380
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Every Day Drinker, strong enough for a man but taste good enough for a women!
I created this recipe to be a spin off of my Lemon Lime Hefeweizen, that way those of us who purchased larger portions of grain and hops can utilize some of the same ingredients to make this one.

First you need to make your blood orange aide, here is my recipe for this:
  • 4 large blood oranges
  • 4 small blood oranges
  • 1 cup of light brown sugar
  • peal oranges removing the skin and the inner white skin (this will make your drink tart if kept on)
  • place these ingredients in a blender
  • fill half way with water
  • after mix purees, it should fill your blender to the top (which is 8 cups)
  • if it doesnt fill to the top then add water until it does and puree for a few minutes and then taste
  • at this point your blood orange aide should be really sweet but not to tart, if its too tart then try adding more sugar
  • after blood orange aide taste the way you like it then you can either boil it to pasteurize the juice or if you fell like you took every precaution, then place in the fridge while you make the beer.

Ingredients to make the base of the beer:
  • ALL GRAIN
  • 6lbs of Pale Malt (2 row)
  • 4lbs of White Wheet Malt
  • 1lb of Viena Malt
  • 0.25 ounces of Motueka Hops at 60 minutes
  • 0.25 ounces of Sorachi Ace at 20 minutes
  • 0.25 ounces of Moteuka at 20 minutes
  • 0.25 ounces of Sorachi Ace at 7 minutes
  • 2.0 ounces of Blood Orange Peel at 5 minutes

Extract Version (follow All Grain Hop Schedule):
  • EXTRACT VERSION
  • 6lbs 14 ounces of Wheat Liquid Extract
  • 8.9 Ounces of Pale Liquid Extract

Wait for 2 days to add Blood Orange Aide...it will make a mess if you put it in on the first day. Primary ferment for 3 weeks...bottle or keg with light brown sugar more a complex taste.

DSC_0566.jpg

DSC_0567.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

DSC_0575.jpg

DSC_0579.jpg

Mysticmead said:
looks great! one thing though. you don't need to boil to pasteurize the blood orange-aide. just heat to 175-185 and hold it there for 30 minutes.

Your correct, I just wanted to make it easy for so people to understand! This is one where you can play around with the hops, I keep getting great results with Sorachi Ace and Motueka, but I got great results with Chinook and Cascade combo as well!

I forgot to add a picture of what the Blood Orange Aide looked like when it was pureed!

DSC_0569.jpg

bchurch said:
Are the small oranges blood oranges too?

Yes it's a Tarocco blood orange....I choose this one because even thought it has less red color (more if they are really ripe), but they are the sweetest of the blood oranges....the second kind (larger one) was Sanguinello Blood Orange...I got all of these from Whole Foods, however they were out of the reddest blood orange called a Moro Blood Orange, so if you can get your hands on these the color will be dark red!

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure so I don't screw it up, I think this might be the next brew to keep the wife happy and me brewing!

bchurch said:
Thanks, I just wanted to make sure so I don't screw it up, I think this might be the next brew to keep the wife happy and me brewing!

I hope you brew it, it's a great flavored beer and very Wife/Girlfriend friendly! Post pictures if you brew it!

I know I have said this on my lemon lime hefe, but I feel like I really need to say this on this one even more,,,,wait at least 3 days. maybe even 4 before adding your blood orange aide!!!!

DSC_0580.jpg

Thanks, I will make sure to post how it turns out. I'm thinking next month I should be brewing this.

it appears that our Whole Foods is out of Blood Oranges. They do carry Blood Orange Juice (pasteurized, no preservatives. Not from concentrate) that has a DEEP red color. how much juice should I use to make blood-orange-aide?

Mysticmead said:
it appears that our Whole Foods is out of Blood Oranges. They do carry Blood Orange Juice (pasteurized, no preservatives. Not from concentrate) that has a DEEP red color. how much juice should I use to make blood-orange-aide?

I would go with 2 quarts...but I would try a little first, if it's not sweet enough then add some brown sugar...I got a bottled Italian volcano blood orange juice in a bottle, I had to use 2.5 bottles and a half cup of brown sugar...the product turned out great, but cost a fortune, so I googled local grocery stores and found that Central Market or Whole Foods in Texas where carrying blood oranges, because it was fresh it turned out way better....but the color looked better from the bottled stuff....regardless of which way you go, you will make an amazing beer!

Interested to hear how this turns out, not a big fan of the recipe for this one. I love Slims Lemon-Lime hefe recipe. I've got a Blood orange hefe 4 days into primary right now. Kept it simple, and have had best results with it. The NZ Mateuka and Soraci Ace are a nice play with this, i went with Citra .5oz for 60 and .5 for last 5.
#5 White wheat, #2 Pils, #2 2Row, #1 Flaked wheat, rice hulls
3068 primary between 68-72 for banana esters and limited clove
rack 64oz of freshly squeezed Blood Orange juice right into the primary with the wort before pitching.
Perfection. I'll be posting pics of it out of the tap shortly.

I think the blended slurry may expose too much tart pith to the precious nectar, it's happened to me. Could end up with some ruby red grapefuit wheat on accident. Also curious to hear how the brown sugar compliments the flavor profile.

Plz update.

Interested to hear how this turns out, not a big fan of the recipe for this one. I love Slims Lemon-Lime hefe recipe. I've got a Blood orange hefe 4 days into primary right now. Kept it simple, and have had best results with it. The NZ Mateuka and Soraci Ace are a nice play with this, i went with Citra .5oz for 60 and .5 for last 5.
#5 White wheat, #2 Pils, #2 2Row, #1 Flaked wheat, rice hulls
3068 primary between 68-72 for banana esters and limited clove
rack 64oz of freshly squeezed Blood Orange juice right into the primary with the wort before pitching.
Perfection. I'll be posting pics of it out of the tap shortly.

I think the blended slurry may expose too much tart pith to the precious nectar, it's happened to me. Could end up with some ruby red grapefuit wheat on accident. Also curious to hear how the brown sugar compliments the flavor profile.

Plz update.

I think its a great beer, while my oranges were not the best I have used (via pictures) still have an amazing beer. I will attach a picture of a batch I kegged 2 days ago, the color is lighter that I like, but next time I will get softer oranges that are a little more ripe...sampled great, should be a great beer.
The reason why I kept my grain and hops similar to my lemon lime version, was so that people could bulk by the hops and grain...and I think the grain bill, is a good starting point for Hefe's and should be slightly tweaked for the various flavors you are adding to it.
As for bitterness, if you are careful to remove the white skin surrounding the orange and just under the peel, you will not have any bitterness...the easiest way to do this, is cut an orange in half and use one of those cheap plastic juicers that you spin the orange on top of to juice.
To explain brown sugar versus, regular sugar...is as simple to say taste both, you will notice a smoother sweetness with a little carmel flavor in it.

I am curious to here how your beer turns out, Citra is a great hop, however to the extent you used it you created an exceptionally bitter beer that doesnt fit within the style of a hefeweizen...not that this is a bad thing, but it will be extremely bitter.

DSC_0903.jpg

Back