Slightly bitter Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beau_cephus

Reaction score
I just opened my second liter of Nut Brown Ale that I brewed 6 weeks ago. It has a bitter after taste. The first bottle I opened 1 week ago and didn't have a bitter after taste. What could have changed in one week?

you said brewed 6 weeks ago, how long has it been in the bottle?

Possibly the bitter one always was bitter. You might find things a bit different when you open bottle three.

B

The last brown I brewed was good right out of the fermenter, but I could taste the separate ingredients. Nothing was melded together yet. I let it sit another 2 weeks, and at that point the beer had an off-taste. The beer was still good, but right at the end of the taste profile, it was just a bit off.

I let it sit for 4 more weeks, and the beer had finally matured to where all of the tastes complimented each other and worked in harmony.

I think you just have a young beer. My last brown took 8 weeks from brew day to mature, and even after that, it got better week to week. Give yours some time.

Back