Slight PSI drop when gas is turned off..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheatmeister

Reaction score
Is this normal when initially carbing? This keg hasn't been carbed yet because of a leak somewhere on the post, changed the o rings and it seems fixed or at least im not hearing the gas come out - so that's a step in the right direction. I'm testing the keg by getting the PSI up to 12, then turning the gas off to see if it holds. It drops down to 10 or so after an ahour. Is this because it's being absorbed into the beer, or rather there's still a leak and it's slowly seeping out?

You can expect a pressure drop if you are not yet at equilibrium at a stable temp. Unless the valve is after the gauge, in which case you have a leak.

Full with water and charged, turn the keg upside down and stick it in a bucket of water or your bathtub water. See if bubbles emerge. Try 5, 10 and 15 psi

You can expect a pressure drop if you are not yet at equilibrium at a stable temp. Unless the valve is after the gauge, in which case you have a leak.

I don't understand your last comment. From left to right I have the CO2 tank gauge, keg 1 psi gauge, keg 2 psi gauge.

Full with water and charged, turn the keg upside down and stick it in a bucket of water or your bathtub water. See if bubbles emerge. Try 5, 10 and 15 psi

The keg is currently full of beer, I'm hesitant to take it upstairs and lay it on its it's side in the bathtub, but will if need be..

If I was thinking I had a potential leak in the keg, I'd gas at 30 and unplug. Then gas again a couple times that day. Quicker you get it to line equilibrium (10 or whatever), the quicker the paranoia goes away.

...but if you fill it with water and turn it upside down, you arent going to see bubbles (unless its leaking specifically from the liquid out dip tube) because it would be leaking water into water.... which is hard to see :drunk:

this would work with am EMPTY pressurized keg.....

Quicker you get it to line equilibrium (10 or whatever), the quicker the paranoia goes away.
...or the quicker you empty your CO2 tank. its better to find the actual leak if you suspect it.

Wheatmeister said:
I don't understand your last comment. From left to right I have the CO2 tank gauge, keg 1 psi gauge, keg 2 psi gauge.

I wasn't sure if you had a check valve in-line after the secondary regs. if you do (and it's a good idea), your pressure should not change in any reg or you have a leak in the connections.
If you shut off the tank valve, then you could either have a leak or just normal pressure drop while gas dissolves into solution.
Spraying a little starsan around the connections can help find larger leaks, and I prefer over soap or leak check solutions. I found a leaky T-connection this way.
A bathtub is also quite effective as long as you have positive pressure, but won't catch a faulty connection unless you haul the whole assembly over.

Is this normal when initially carbing? This keg hasn't been carbed yet because of a leak somewhere on the post, changed the o rings and it seems fixed or at least im not hearing the gas come out - so that's a step in the right direction. I'm testing the keg by getting the PSI up to 12, then turning the gas off to see if it holds. It drops down to 10 or so after an ahour. Is this because it's being absorbed into the beer, or rather there's still a leak and it's slowly seeping out?

Just like you guessed, the CO2 will get absorbed into the uncarbonated beer, causing the pressure to drop if the gas is turned off. This means that your "test" is inconclusive, since you don't know if the pressure is dropping from absorption alone, or from absorption and a leak. Try putting some star-san solution in a spray bottle and spray it on all of the connections, and then look for bubbles. If you can't find any bubbles, you're probably in the clear.

Just like you guessed, the CO2 will get absorbed into the uncarbonated beer, causing the pressure to drop if the gas is turned off. This means that your "test" is inconclusive, since you don't know if the pressure is dropping from absorption alone, or from absorption and a leak. Try putting some star-san solution in a spray bottle and spray it on all of the connections, and then look for bubbles. If you can't find any bubbles, you're probably in the clear.

This. This all over, 100%.

Thanks man

Back