Slight off taste confirmed by IrregularPulse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theguy

Reaction score
My boil pot is a 4 gallon stainless steel pot. Normally I do a 3.5 gallon boil and top it off to 5 gallons once it hits the fermentor. To prepare my priming solution I normally boil the corn sugar (usually around 1 cup) for about 10 min. Once the sugar is dissolved I put ½ of the solution into the bottling bucket and start siphoning in the stuff from the Primary. Once I have the bottling bucket ½ full, I add the remaining sugar solution. My thought is that this helps the solution mix more thoroughly. I got the extract in May and brewed the EPA right away once I received it. I think the Scottish sat for a month before I prepared it, so it wasn’t as fresh. Ironically I liked the Scottish better than the EPA. In past batches, I have noticed something off a little with my stuff (slight after taste). It was especially noticeable after trying a homebrew from IrregularPulse. I am wondering if part of the after taste is related to the water I use. Normally I just use tap water. When brewing w/ IrregularPulse, I did notice that he used tap water w/ no side effects to the taste. What are your thoughts on this one?

The boiling of the corn sugar for 10 minutes is one of the 2 things I suspected getting that taste from as well. I later found (after kegging and not having to deal with it anymore) that you're supposed to just boil the water to sanitize it, then dissolve in the sugar. For a good test, When you bottle the porter we just made, try it this way. I noticed this off flavor went away when I started kegging so this sounds plausible. I maybe make a small extract sometime. Maybe a Light Pale Ale to be able to detect the slightest off flavor, and bottle with this method of prepping the sugar.
Switching to AG did not take the flavor away as I was still bottling for the first few of those.
I'd suspect either the boiling of sugar or my other suspect in my system was a crack in the enamel of my old pot that got retired about the same time as my bottling habit.

I have found that extract tends to leave a certain "twang" on the palate. When I moved on to PM recipes combined with a swamp cooler, the twang aftertaste disappeared. Also switched over to purified water from tap water.

The boiling of the corn sugar for 10 minutes is one of the 2 things I suspected getting that taste from as well. I later found (after kegging and not having to deal with it anymore) that you're supposed to just boil the water to sanitize it, then dissolve in the sugar. For a good test, When you bottle the porter we just made, try it this way. I noticed this off flavor went away when I started kegging so this sounds plausible. I maybe make a small extract sometime. Maybe a Light Pale Ale to be able to detect the slightest off flavor, and bottle with this method of prepping the sugar.
Switching to AG did not take the flavor away as I was still bottling for the first few of those.
I'd suspect either the boiling of sugar or my other suspect in my system was a crack in the enamel of my old pot that got retired about the same time as my bottling habit.

That sounds plausible. I'll make sure to save a few bottles so we can compare. That will definately help narrow this down. I actually have one more set of extract ingredients for a Blonde Ale. I will also plan to substitute in some filtered water when preparing it. I guess if the after taste is still there with the Blonde Ale that will narrow it down to the Boilpot or Fermentor.

I'd also try full boils if possible. I think a lot of the extract twang comes from more concentrated boils. Controlling your fermentation temperatures can go a long way in making a cleaner beer too.

I'd also try full boils if possible. I think a lot of the extract twang comes from more concentrated boils. Controlling your fermentation temperatures can go a long way in making a cleaner beer too.

I'll give that a shot too. After tasting a Black Pepper Wit from IrregularPulse over the weekend i realized that I had a problem. Probably would have thought it was normal had I not tried someone elses homebrew.

Never accept anything less than "Better than Store Bought" from your homebrew. It's it's not, there's something that can be fixed. If you'd like we could split another batch, throw it in my 15Gallon Fermenter, then come down at racking time and we could keg mine and bottle yours. This would make the only difference the use of bottling sugar. But I would recommend this time carbing it with out boiling the sugar itself. see if that helps. I'm 85% that this is causing your and my old off flavor.

I'm gonna need a 15-20 gallon system if we start splitting on a regular basis :) Splitting 10G is good though for specialty beers like this.

Never accept anything less than "Better than Store Bought" from your homebrew. It's it's not, there's something that can be fixed. If you'd like we could split another batch, throw it in my 15Gallon Fermenter, then come down at racking time and we could keg mine and bottle yours. This would make the only difference the use of bottling sugar. But I would recommend this time carbing it with out boiling the sugar itself. see if that helps. I'm 85% that this is causing your and my old off flavor.

I'm gonna need a 15-20 gallon system if we start splitting on a regular basis :) Splitting 10G is good though for specialty beers like this.

I am definately up for splitting another batch. Had a really good time and learned a bunch (including never take your eyes off the boil while ordering pizza) :) When are you looking at doing another batch?

I forgot to mention that you may have a buyer for your 10 Gallon system if you upgrade. :ban:

Thanks for the offer, but it'll probably never actually happen :) 10G of one brew is enough for me.
I'm going to take August off from brewing and maybe take September off if my EHLT isn't done. I'd really like to finish it before next brew day. Talk to your buddy Tim about the group brews up there?

Just my 2 cents here, but I truly believe that's it's all about controlling the ferm. temps. Not in your case specifically, but controlling the temperature during primary fermentation is the single most important aspect of homebrewing. I brew all of my ales as close to 60F as possible. Sometimes they ferment slowly for over a week before hitting FG, but it's worth the wait. Give it a try along with the other suggestions here.:mug:

Thanks for the offer, but it'll probably never actually happen :) 10G of one brew is enough for me.
I'm going to take August off from brewing and maybe take September off if my EHLT isn't done. I'd really like to finish it before next brew day. Talk to your buddy Tim about the group brews up there?

That actually works out pretty well for me. This month is pretty much shot as we have two weddings and who know what else. Next month isn't much better. I'll see Tim tonight and will ask him about his groups next brew day. I'll let you know what their plans are.

Just my 2 cents here, but I truly believe that's it's all about controlling the ferm. temps. Not in your case specifically, but controlling the temperature during primary fermentation is the single most important aspect of homebrewing. I brew all of my ales as close to 60F as possible. Sometimes they ferment slowly for over a week before hitting FG, but it's worth the wait. Give it a try along with the other suggestions here.:mug:

Are you using a fermentation chamber or refrigerator to control the temps? I have been fermenting at what ever temp my basement is. In the summer it is close to 65, but a little colder in the winter.

Nah, Never had a problem before, just didn't pay attention to wort coming to temp to remove lid in time. I leave the lid on until it comes to boil. Well Boil came to while papa Johns was on the phone.

I have to take some responsibility for the boil over. When I realized what was happening, I just turned down the burner instead of turning it off...Luckily we didn't loose much!

wasn't your fault TG, just bad timing with phone.
I agree controlling ferm temps is a big improvement on the beer. It'll be interesting to see the difference in ours coming from the same batch with different ferm conditions.

Are you using a fermentation chamber or refrigerator to control the temps? I have been fermenting at what ever temp my basement is. In the summer it is close to 65, but a little colder in the winter.

Since summer began, I chill my wort to about 60F. Then I place my fermenter into a ice tub for kegs. I fill the tub with cold water (usually around 55 from the tap) then I control the temp. with ice. Five days at 59-60 is usually good for me, then I just let it sit at ambient temperature.

Temp is really only critical during the main part of fermentation. It can rise back up (within reason, don't want it boiling here!) during the cleanup phase.

wasn't your fault TG, just bad timing with phone.
I agree controlling ferm temps is a big improvement on the beer. It'll be interesting to see the difference in ours coming from the same batch with different ferm conditions.

IP, what was the fermentation range for our Yeast (60 - 75 I think)? Mine has been holding steady around 71. Kinda high...

Back