Slight metallic taste...hop ball?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeyebrewer

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA last part of April...everything went as planned. I used a metal herb/hop ball to dry hop. (small metal sphere with a clasp and a small chain attached to it) I put an ounce of cascade in the herb ball and dropped it into my cornie for dry hopping. I figured I would just retrieve it when the keg was gone. Its been sitting in thecornie for a month and I decided to tap it last night. It tastes good but there is a slight metallic after taste. Anyone ever experienced this when using the herb/hop ball. Any suggestions on what to use for dry hopping to avoid this?

I've done this several times, but I think mine is stainless. You could also just use hop bags from the HBS...

I think mine is stainless....but its sitting at the bottom of 5 gallons. I guess I will have to wait. Is there anything I may have done during the brew process that would give that off flavor? I have never run into this taste before. Being a chef I have fairly sensitive taste buds....it's still giving me a nice buzz though...7.6% :cross:

I think mine is stainless....but its sitting at the bottom of 5 gallons. I guess I will have to wait. Is there anything I may have done during the brew process that would give that off flavor? I have never run into this taste before. Being a chef I have fairly sensitive taste buds....it's still giving me a nice buzz though...7.6% :cross:

If its stainless, the taste has to be coming from elsewhere. Do you use Iodophor?

Latest posts

Back