• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Skeeter Pee

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Blacksmith1

Captain Cheap
Reaction score
If it didn't stop early it will have fermented dry by now. Depending on the OG you may have lemon wine. It should be fine, might neds a bit of sweetening.

Michael L Collins

Lakemoron
Reaction score
The Village of Lakemore, Summit County, Ohio
I made a mistake that just seems like it wants to work. I tried to make a lemon wine (Skeeter Pee) (on 5/24/2020) using a basic recipe I found online. I did it just as it said, adding bentonite to help it clear out. After I finished making it, I saw I would have some of the lemon juice left, so I went to see if it had a recipe for lemonade. That was when I realized it was loaded with preservatives. Now I added less lemon, more sugar, and an entire pack of yeast (I know). Against all the odds, this thing is fermenting. Does anyone have an idea of what I should expect? It smells like lemonade, and it had a heck of a blowout in the beginning. I started at 1.100, and I’ll post an update in a few days.

• 14 oz Lemon Juice of the 20 oz (with the unknown preservatives)
  • 5 cups of sugar (to take it to 1.100)
  • ¼ tsp tannin
  • 1 packet Lavin ec1118
  • Yeast Nutrient
  • Bentonite
  • Water Enough to fill out the carboy

Michael L Collins

Lakemoron
Reaction score
The Village of Lakemore, Summit County, Ohio
I made a mistake that just seems like it wants to work. I tried to make a lemon wine (Skeeter Pee) (on 5/24/2020) using a basic recipe I found online. I did it just as it said, adding bentonite to help it clear out. After I finished making it, I saw I would have some of the lemon juice left, so I went to see if it had a recipe for lemonade. That was when I realized it was loaded with preservatives. Now I added less lemon, more sugar, and an entire pack of yeast (I know). Against all the odds, this thing is fermenting. Does anyone have an idea of what I should expect? It smells like lemonade, and it had a heck of a blowout in the beginning. I started at 1.100, and I’ll post an update in a few days.

• 14 oz Lemon Juice of the 20 oz (with the unknown preservatives)
  • 5 cups of sugar (to take it to 1.100)
  • ¼ tsp tannin
  • 1 packet Lavin ec1118
  • Yeast Nutrient
  • Bentonite
  • Water Enough to fill out the carboy
Four days later it's at 1.022 about 12.86 (The OG was actually 1.120)

Reaction score
I, too, was inspired by this recipe last week. I started on the 28th, but as usual, I can't leave well enough alone and I went pretty sideways. I don't like the idea of using bottled lemon juice so I bought twenty lemons and put them in the blender, whole, with a box of reconstituted raisins. I quickly realized that wasn't enough for a 5-gallon batch and topped it off with 3 potatos and 6 jalapenos. I'm calling it Murderhornet. It's about halfway through primary fermentation and smells freaking amazing. After I stir it I sip the spoon, and it tastes as good as it smells, improving every day. I know I'll have to add more sugar when it goes into secondary later this week. My method of winemaking usually includes letting the wine sit two months between rackings, but if it's clear I might have to bottle it on the 3rd of July.

Murderhornet Wine (Lemon Jalapeno)
Started 20200528

20 lemons
3 potatoes
6 jalapenos, seeded (use 3 if whole)
22oz box of raisins reconstituted in ½ gallon water a day earlier

Blended ingredients with additional 1½ gallons water
Added 8 cups sugar
Simmered 1 hour, stirring frequently
Cooled and screened into primary fermentation
Added 3 campden tablets
Rested 24 hours

Very liquid, minimal particlulate
Added Lalvin EC-1118 yeast

Blacksmith1

Captain Cheap
Reaction score
Gotta try me some of this... I did a tepache with jalapeno that turned out pretty good.
Why the potatoes?

Reaction score
Because I needed filler and they were handy, but also the potatoes help mitigate the high citric acid content of the lemons. Also, for some reason a lot of my best wines have had potatoes.

Edit: Friday now and I racked it to secondary. I screened the bottom few inches, lost about a gallon. I boiled a gallon of water with 4 cups of sugar, cooled it, and added before putting the airlock and setting it in the garage.

Last edited: