Skeeter Pee & Yeast Slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melwyn

Reaction score
I am itching to make a beverage & just queried on here "What Can I Make" & I was suggested Skeeter Pee. It sounds like fun to make & I was checking out recipes and they all call for (from what I've seen) a yeast slurry from a batch of primary fermented wine, which that I do not have. Does anyone know what I can do or have another recipe other than the ones I have found for it? Thanks!

I think this is the recipe I used around Christmas last year:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/bknifefights-hard-lemonade.407020/

I toned it down some by using 1# DME and 1# table sugar to hit 6.6% ABV. My bro-in-law is a Mike's Lemonade drinker and claims he drank the 3 gallons of this I gave him.

Anyway, that recipe explains you should use Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne Yeast.

What I’ve done: Buy a 96oz or so jug of apple juice with no preservatives (other than acorbic acid aka vitamin C). Pitch yeast in that 2-3 days before making Skeeter Pee. Dump most of the juice (save and drink it) and the shake the remainder to get the yeast into a slurry which you can use to ferment the SP. I’ve only done this with Montrachet yeast and similar but have had no issue with fermentation or off flavors.

Back