Skeeter pee with Thick foam ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing a starter with my sp by adding my must to my slurry a little at a time and I have the same foam head. I have 9 cups of must in now and my airlock is bubbling every 10 seconds, so something is going on in there. This is my first batch of sp and I'm not used to such a slow starting ferment.....or the odd foam head. Everything I read says to hang in there and it will happen. So hang in there.

How long has it been since you pitched? I started at 1.070 and pitched my starter last night. Tonight I'm at 1.060. Still have the foam head though.

I started on the tenth at about 5 pm. I had ferment the next morning. Then 3 days later i had the thick almost kruzin like layer.

I've just whisked it to break it up and aerate the mix. Its doing just fine. Tatse is great also. The lemon is becoming more prevalent.

Ill rack tonight if i have the time.

My first batch of Skeeter Pee and I have no foam on top. The mixture is rolling and bubbling very small bubbles, but no foam head as with my typical wines. I have stirred & whipped to add plenty of O2, but still no foam. It has been in the process 7 days. What do you seasoned Skeeter Pee-ers typically see as it ferments?

I found this old thread after I've noticed how foamy my SP batch is. It foamed up a lot as expected when I de-acidified it but significant foam remained even after the de-acidifying was complete. The foam died back a bit until it began fermenting and has kept a full 30% of the liquid volume as a foamy head.
lemon.jpg

Back