Skeeter Pee - a question about backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
Making my first batch of SP and I am trying to get a handle on how sweet most people like this. My thinking is about 4 oz per gallon, (about 1.5 lbs for 6 gallons) but is that what most of you add or do you find that folk prefer this even more sweet?

Probably depends on how much lemon and deacidifiers you ended up using to get to the final TA. I use a LOT of each to maximize the lemon flavor and my TA typically ends up around 14g/L. So my SP can take upwards of 90g/L of sugar without seeing too sweet.

I'd measure your TA and multiply by say 5 for a starting point on your sugar addition.

Probably depends on how much lemon and deacidifiers you ended up using to get to the final TA. I use a LOT of each to maximize the lemon flavor and my TA typically ends up around 14g/L. So my SP can take upwards of 90g/L of sugar without seeing too sweet.

I'd measure your TA and multiply by say 5 for a starting point on your sugar addition.

is that a good rule of thumb to use to determine how sweet a country wine might need to be ie 5 times TA for the amount of sugar you might consider?

A factor of 5 will be sweet but not yet cloying, to my taste at least. Going down to 3 still brings out plenty of fruit flavors while remaining less obviously sweet. A factor of 7 is getting cloying to me.

I find it's just a rough starting point to dial in the final sweetness for your own taste through bench trials. Acid can vary quite a lot with fruit wines and some sweetness seems to bring out more flavor.

I guess I knew that the more acid there is in a fruit wine, the more sweetness it may need to balance that acidity but I never thought about viewing the measure of TA being a useful starting point. Great idea. Thanks.

I actually use this same process for my sweet grape wines too. Concord can easily run a TA of 10g/L. A lot of the hybrid grapes can be high as well. It gets me in ballpark so I can do bench trials and dial it in. And like you said, fruit wines are all over the map.

Back