Size of Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbolling

Reaction score
Ok, so of course I'm new to this whole evil homebrewing addiction (why else would I be posting in the Beginner Forum?) and I've got a question about the size for a secondary fermentor.

For my primary, I have a 6 (truthfully probably around 6.5 to the very top) gallon bucket. I'm currently using this for my first 5.5 gallon batch and that's probably the batch size I'll continue with in the future. I plan on just leaving this one in the primary for 3ish weeks like I did with my smaller batches, but for the future I really like the idea of having a pipeline and from what I've read a secondary also makes dry hopping/adding additional flavors much easier. So, after reading horror stories that made me afraid to touch anything glass, I've decided to go with a Better Bottle for secondary.

Now my question is this. I know it's good for primary to have a little extra room at the top because of the violent fermenting going on during that time. But since secondary isn't nearly as active, what size Better Bottle should I be looking at? For 5.5 gallons, I'm assuming you wind up racking right around 5 gallons. Northern Brewer (which seems to be the best price+shipping combination for me) has both 5 and 6 gallon versions. I didn't know if 5 gallons is cutting it too close and if 6 gallons would leave too much headspace at the top. I see myself using this only as a secondary, so the fact that I couldn't do primary in the 5 gallon one wouldn't really bother me...

Thanks for your help!

I do 5gal batches in a regular 6.5gal Ale Pail. I use this size pail for both my primary and secondary with no issues. As you mentioned, your fermentation will likely be more vigorous in your primary than it will be in your secondary, so if you didn't have a problem with a particular size primary, a secondary of the same size should be adequate.

Ok, so of course I'm new to this whole evil homebrewing addiction (why else would I be posting in the Beginner Forum?) and I've got a question about the size for a secondary fermentor.

For my primary, I have a 6 (truthfully probably around 6.5 to the very top) gallon bucket. I'm currently using this for my first 5.5 gallon batch and that's probably the batch size I'll continue with in the future. I plan on just leaving this one in the primary for 3ish weeks like I did with my smaller batches, but for the future I really like the idea of having a pipeline and from what I've read a secondary also makes dry hopping/adding additional flavors much easier. So, after reading horror stories that made me afraid to touch anything glass, I've decided to go with a Better Bottle for secondary.

Now my question is this. I know it's good for primary to have a little extra room at the top because of the violent fermenting going on during that time. But since secondary isn't nearly as active, what size Better Bottle should I be looking at? For 5.5 gallons, I'm assuming you wind up racking right around 5 gallons. Northern Brewer (which seems to be the best price+shipping combination for me) has both 5 and 6 gallon versions. I didn't know if 5 gallons is cutting it too close and if 6 gallons would leave too much headspace at the top. I see myself using this only as a secondary, so the fact that I couldn't do primary in the 5 gallon one wouldn't really bother me...

Thanks for your help!

I use a 6.5 gallon ale pail for my primary and bought a 6 gallon better bottle for my secondary. Ideally, you would want the smallest possible secondary that your beer will fit into to minimze the possiblity of oxidation with the added head space. I bought a 6 gallon because I have heard that the beer you rack to your secondary will continue to produce enough CO2 to blanket your beer from oxygen (though obviously not as much as in the primary) and I can also use my better bottle as an additional primary if needed. I will probably end up buying an additional 5 gallon better bottle in the future soley to use as a secondary but the 6 gallon is working well for me in the meantime.

I have a 6 gallon Better Bottle and so far haven't had any oxidation issues with it. I picked up the bigger one so that I would have space for any additions. I just racked into it the other day and added 3lbs of raspberries. With the 5 gal. Better Bottle, I would have had to sacrifice some beer. We can't have that, now, can we?

I have a 6 gallon Better Bottle and so far haven't had any oxidation issues with it. I picked up the bigger one so that I would have space for any additions. I just racked into it the other day and added 3lbs of raspberries. With the 5 gal. Better Bottle, I would have had to sacrifice some beer. We can't have that, now, can we?

Duh! That seems pretty simple now. I didn't even think that if i actually added any fruit or even hops to a 5 gal secondary that I'm gonna be taking up more room and it probably won't all fit in the 5 gallon. We Absolutely cannot be sacrificing beer :D

The 6 gallon it is then. I guess once I rack it if it seems like there is a lot of room left over I can do what I read one other person doing when they had a lot of headspace and boil about 1/4 cup of water+sugar to give the yeasties some more food so that they'll produce a nice CO2 blanket.

Thanks for the info.

Or you can pick up a lb. of dry ice, stick it in some water and pour the steam (which is CO2) over the beer if you are really concerned about it. I've done it once and didn't have any issues. I also bought 10 lbs. of it, so I had ALOT of extra to play with. I read somewhere that baking soda and vinegar mixed produces CO2 also, but I like and trust the dry ice steam more.

I have a 6 gallon Better Bottle and so far haven't had any oxidation issues with it. I picked up the bigger one so that I would have space for any additions. I just racked into it the other day and added 3lbs of raspberries.

Yes this......as time goes on you will probably be happier with extra space.

:off:
I would have had to sacrifice some beer. We can't have that, now, can we?

I am an extreme non-waster of beer, that I brew. I use glass carboys and typically have issues getting the last 3ish pints off of the trub in the bottom of the carboy with the siphon.....so I pour it as gently as possible into a big measuring cup and let it settle while I bottle the rest. I then come back to it at the end and gently pour it into my 2, 1.5 pint bottles (Guinness) I have named the "trubled 2" as they seem to need more time to settle that the 12oz bottles for obvious reasons!

I've slowly been figuring out that you are better off going big/good early. Hold off on buying the cheap, little stuff that will get you by because eventually you will want/need the other stuff. Saves money in the long run, but to each their own.

Zamial, that's pretty hardcore. lol.

Back