Sippin' tequila

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consider myself well studied in Tequila and there are many out there that are good.

There is a huge difference between tequila that you sip to enjoy the flavor, shoot to enjoy the rush and mix to enjoy the cocktail.

Patron, Cabo Wabo, and the famous brands are just passable as far as sipping tequila goes (for the money). THey are over priced for what you get as far as flavor and smoothness and there are a ton of better tasting and smoother tequilas out there for less money.

Some excellent tequilas mentioned in this thread like Don Julio, Milagro, Cazadores, and Gran Centenario have many varieties some better than others depending on how it's aged. Silver or Blanco, Repasado, and Anejo all have specific aging requirements from the barrel volume to the time it's aged. Anejo tequilas are typically aged in old whiskey or bourbon barrels so you will get hints of that flavor in an Anejo.

A good tequila is only real tequila if it's 100% Agave and it must state this on the label as specified by Mexico. Also on the label is something called a "Nom" Number (e.g. NOM 1102). This number specifies the Distillery. And if you look, you'll find that many of your favorite tequilas are made by one company or another. Sauza (NOM 1102) for instance make many quality tequilas using different names (Tres Generations, Hornitos, 11 Anos, etc.) so you can be safe buying a lower cost Sauza tequila for mixing and know you're going to get quality.

My favorite for Sipping is El Mayor Anejo. For $29 a bottle it can't be beat for flavor, smoothness and price but it's hard to find.

Milagro Repesado is my second favorite in the lower price range smooth tequila.

If you want to spend the money you would normally spend on Patron, try Herradura, Casa Noble or AsomBroso instead.

My favorite is Casa Noble Single Barrel Reposado. Hmm, Carlos Santana has bought into the company.
casa-noble-reposado.jpg

My wife and I are tequila drinkers, our everyday tequila consists Corzo, Avion, Los Osuna (only available in Mexico), Herradura, and I like a sip of my Jose Cuervo Reserva De La Familia once in a while. While I like my liquor straight up, my wife enjoys a good margarita.

Herradura Reposado.

Smooth with a nice agave tang. Not too expensive - around $44 per bottle. Preferred it over the Anejo. Anejo has more vanilla, which didn't impress.

Drink it with a tomato-orange-chile based Sangrita. Sip of tequila, small sip of sangrita. Makes me miss Guadalajara just thinking about it.

Ohh man for Margaritas.... Well this is my recipe. Mix all contents (except the SALT) in a 5 gallon keg 5 days before the party! Carbonate at 30 PSI for the entire 5 days. Mix it well a few times throughout the week and ENJOY! Serve over ice with salted rim straight from the tap!

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird..

Can you list out the contents and sizes??
Hard to tell by the picture what sizes and what is hiding behind the soda pop.

I prefer silver tequilas. I actually find 1800 silver to be fairly smooth but my all time favorite silver is Casa Noble. Patron is probably my least favorite "sipping tequila".

Jaybird..

Can you list out the contents and sizes??
Hard to tell by the picture what sizes and what is hiding behind the soda pop.

Sure

3 2 liter of Squirt
2 limes (juiced)
1 750ml Triple SEC
2 750 ML Tequila (your choice)
5 1.5L Bottles (i think, I don't have one on hand to check) Margarita mix. (The 5th bottle is what was hiding behind the soda)

Cheers
Jay

Avion is supposed to have a tequila that sells for around $100 bucks I've been anxious to try, been trying to get my hands on a bottle, but hard to find here. Where I live, liquor stores sell more alcohol in the $3 to $9 range and tend to cater to those individuals more...LOL

anyone into mezcal? i just got a bottle of don antonio aguilar, reposado, brought over by a friend from mexico. haven't cracked it yet. my mezcal experiences are limited to really cheap and nasty stuff, so i'm looking forward to finally trying the good stuff!

Well, I suppose I should update my tequila list since the last time I posted here. Currently, I have approximately 30 different labels, mostly Anejo and Extra Anejo's partly because I am a bourbon drinker first. Among the ones on my shelf include 2 bottles of Herradura Selecion Suprema, several bottles each of Jose Cuervo de la Familia, Avion 44 and Don Julio 1942. Another favorite is Clase Azul Reposado. I also have bottles of Grand Mayan, Dos Artes, Dos Armadilloa & Don Adolfo Alquima. A couple that I really enjoy are Tres Generaciones, Don Julio 70 and Herradura Ultra. I have also taken toasted oak from Black Swan cooperage and have aged Avion Silver and 3 Amigos Blanco on it with some really nice results. I get a really good reposado after about 2 months of age. If you're a bourbon drinker like me, there's no reason you shouldn't like the collection above.

My bourbon collection includes roughly 36 different labels, including one I picked up from a local distillary in Montana, Big Horn distillary. I have a serious Blanton's collection, Long Branch is another good one, Belle Meade, Basil Hayden, Jefferson's, Woodford's Double oaked is a good sipper too.

I am constantly looking for good spirits to soak wood in for inclusion in my meads and ales. I have a 5 gallon Balcones barrel filled with Evan Williams just to keep it "tuned up" a bit before the next batch.

The Kirkland tequila is produced by Patron so while I am not a huge Patron fan it is not a terrible tequila. It is more in line with the price Patron should be given its very average quality.
Go to Black Swan and get the spirit size White Oak, drop one in for a minimum of 6 weeks, longer is better, then have a sip of the Kirkland. You'll be very pleasantly surprised.

So Y'all might understand this line of thinking. As a back sweetener of wines, you too can back sweeten liquor.
My recipes include:
Kirkland Vodka, Using Japanese Plums in a Ball Jar and a bit of honey, like a 100 dollar Port.
Jim Beam With a Real Vanilla Bean Stick in it for a month or two.
and last but not least Tequila my fave. Jose Gold with 2 TBS of Organic 100 % Agave Syrup to 750ml. Outstanding sipper.
I'd like to read about yours.

Back